Home Technical Questions

Radiator thermostat batteries die without warning?

Hi Folks,

I really hope that tado’s technical support team pick up on this!

I’ve had 3 separate radiators thermostat batteries die without warning. They still show up as fine in the app. The only way I noticed was by touching the radiator and then manually turning the thermostat to be greeted by the “[ ]” image.

Great! So it just doesn’t bother telling me!

This did used to work! Maybe it broke in the latest software update 66.1 which is present on all these radiators btw.

Comments

• Happens all of the time for me for over a year now. Tado claimed they would fix it but never did so. What is bizarre that rads with the same firmware - some report and others do not report low battery.
  • I just encountered the same problem. The radiator didn't get warm while the boiler kept running. The app showed no battery problem, but turning the radiatorknob did show the battery warning.

• I have had the same problem on 2 TRVs too. The app shows a ‘good’ battery and temperature reading and blink functions work fine, but the valve will not open. When I rotate the valve I get the battery symbol. The boiler keeps getting called, wasting energy.

The whole handling of faults is a missed opportunity and a long way from ‘smart’ or intelligent’. The system starts the boiler and opens a TRV, then sees no rise in temperature for hours. Should it not alert the user rather than stay quiet and continue wasting energy?