Connect Smart Thermostat direct to zone valve.

Options

Hi

Current set up. Smart thermostat. Some Smart TRVs, Extension kit.

2 Questions:

1.) I have a large lounge with 4 rads. Mostly only need it heated in the eve. Sometimes not at all. Instead of 4X Smart TRVs. Can I stick a generic zone valve in and wire a smart thermostat directly to it?

2.) If yes. Can this smart thermostat be the only one on the system. With every other rad having a smart TRV? Or it it best to have a second 'Main' smart thermostat somewhere else?

Main aim is to be able to call heat to most of the house but keep the lounge unheated.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers!

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@medium123 2nd question first! tado works in 2 different modes: A. where your boiler-controlling smart thermostat has to be calling for heat in order for other tado devices to get heat OR B. where all tado devices of any sort can call for heat regardless of the position of the boiler-controlling smart thermostat. With Mode B. in operation (which is what you want**) I think you would be better having a second one to control the lounge but please check that one with the chat line. My boiler-controlling stat, for example, is measuring device for 2 rads and, obviously, provide control function as well.

Question 1. is really answered by how your plumbing is arranged. If you can isolate your lounge rads without affecting the flow and return for the rest of the house then you are OK.

**Mode A is usually default setting - chat line can change it in a couple of minutes.

• medium123
    Options

hey samd. Thanks very much.

Very helpful. I am able to isolate the lounge with no effect of the rest of the property. And yes feels like 2nd thermostat is a better setup.

I guess then a third open question to anyone is - do you know a specific zone valve that I can connect directly to a Tado smart thermostat?

I can find lots of general info on how Tado work with zones. And even how to integrate it with current zone. Looking more for specific information on a new single vale install. Type of valve and a wiring diagram I guess.

Thanks again!