Why do radiators with smart valves stay on when boiler is off

Options

I turn Boiler off but radiators with smart thermostat valves stay on.

why is that.

do they keep the boiler on

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@ACCESS345 Hello. Need a bit more info please. When you say turning the boiler off are you meaning physically at the boiler or are you talking about a tado device (smart thermostat or extension kit) on which you are turning off the boiler?

• ACCESS345
    Options

Turning the boiler of using the Tado app or Alexa

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@ACCESS345 OK. That sounds as though the only tado kit you have installed is the tado smart TRVs. If that is the case, any radiators you have without a tado TRV will still be calling for heat. Did you purchase a start up kit please?

• ACCESS345
    Options

The radiators without a tada smart try turn off but the ones with a tado trv stay on despite the boiler timer turning boiler off

• Adzyp
    Options

@ACCESS345 Can you provide a bit more detail about your setup and what Tado equipment you have got installed. Can you also describe exactly what the issue is?

When you say you are turning the boiler off via the app what exactly are you doing in the app or asking alexa to do? 'Turning the boiler off' isnt an option as far as I know. Turning the temperature down would be a way of stopping the boiler sending heat but you cant specifically turn the boiler off.

What you have provided so far is a little vague for anyone to work off and help you out.

• ACCESS345
    Options

I will rephrase my question

why do the rado smart thermostat radiators stay on after the boiler timer has tuned the boiler off or I have asked Alexa to turn off boiler.

all radiators with non smart TRVs turn off but the ones with smart TRVs stay on.

are they staying on because the timer for the smart TRV RADIATORS are timed to be on.

i thought that a quick way to save heating costs was to turn off the boiler if we are too warm or going to be out for more than a couple of hours,

The TRVs stay on even if the boiler is off so do I have to turn off TRV RADIATORS .

• Adzyp
    Options

@ACCESS345 Ok, when you say the ones with a TRV remain ON, what do you mean by ON? Do you mean that the boiler is sending hot water to them or just that they are lit up?

What is odd here is that the radiators without the TRV’s would also be ‘ON’ if any heat was being sent to the radiators with TRV’s.

I’m not sure what setup you’ve got, so I’m going to assume that you’ve at least got the Tado Thermostat (if not the extension kit) connected to your boiler? The idea of using Tado and its TRV’s is so that you can control the temperature of each radiator/room, so for example:

Let’s say you have 4 rooms – Room1, Room2 etc..

If Room1 and Room3 have the TRV installed, within you app you will set a specific schedule for that TRV to say what temperature you want that room to be at which times of the day. If at any point the TRV’s sense that the temperature has dropped below whatever you have set, it will ask the boiler to fire up and heat will go to that radiator to get it back up to the temperature.

At any point that heat is being requested by Room1 and Room3, Room2 and Room4 will automatically be getting hot water sent to them too as there is no way for them to say that they are already hot enough and need turning off.

If this still doesn’t make sense, let me know what your setup is (do you have the extension kit, smart thermostat, internet bridge and TRV’s, or just some of these?) and how you are expecting it to work?

• ACCESS345
    Options

The radiators with the smart TRVa are still hot even though the boiler is not on and the radiators with non smart TRVs are off.

i have tado room thermostat plus the extension kit connected to the boiler control, the internet bridge and 4 TRVs.

It seems like the smart TRVs are still pulling hot water through whilst they are programmed to be on ev3n though the boiler is timed off

• Adzyp
    Options
    What is controlling the boiler timer? The boiler itself? If so are you sure this is actually still working, I think Tado will override this as its now Tado that is controlling your boiler.

Its simple really, if your smart TRV radiators are hot and then your boiler isnt off.

Sounds like the TRVs are working correctly based on how you have set them up.

If there are certain times when you want the boiler to be off then you will have to edit your schedule for each TRV to have a very low temperature during the times you want the boiler to be off.

You have to question though why you chose to install such a system, the idea is that your boiler is permanently on and you can control each room to suit your needs.

Maybe its just your choice of words that you are using im not sure? When you say you want the boiler off, maybe you just mean you dont want anywhere yo be heated at that time, if so set your schedules to a low temperature as above