Several Rooms Grouped as a Single Tado Room

Options

I have 21 Tado thermostatic valves so that every room in my house has a valve. However Tado only allows for 10 rooms so I have to group several actual rooms together as a single Tado virtual room.

My loft has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms each with their own Tado radiator valve, but they are all in a single Tado virtual room called loft.

I am having trouble getting control over the temperature in each of these rooms. Initially I set the small bedroom as the measuring device room. This gets warm quickly and so the heating is turned off to the other loft rooms and they do not get up to the set temperature.

What is the best way to get each actual loft room at the same temperature, despite each room being a different size. Do I need to play around with offsets? Do I set the largest actual loft room as the measuring room for the Tado virtual loft room? Would that then make the smaller loft rooms too hot?

Obviously if Tado allowed 21 rooms to be controlled independently my problem would be solved.

I really like the Tado system and obviously have spent a lot on it.

Can anyone advise on the way to solve my problem caused by Tado only allowing 10 rooms (other than moving to a smaller house).😉 What is the best compromise for my situation?

Thanks.

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options

All I can think of is to experiment using the coldest radiator as measuring device and then reduce the water flow in the small bedroom by closing slightly on the lockshield device?

• IanTaylor
    Options

Thanks for the idea.

I can see it might make a difference although could take a long time and then if the outside temperature changes I could be back to square 1.

It would be great if Tado could increase the number of rooms it can control. Especially when I have spent more than £1,500 on Tado equipment.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

You mentioned in your first post, changing the temperature offset which I sort of dismissed cos the offset does not get much praise heaped on it around these parts!!

However, inaccurate as they might be, keeping them all measuring from self with a couple of degrees reduction on actual temperature for the two in the small bedroom compared to large bedroom may do the trick. If you needed to use offset, then the offset would be applied on top of that setting.

• Klaus_Ludwig
    Options

Hi @IanTaylor,

I am sure that you will be aware that you are allowed as many rooms as you like. The issue is that only 10 rooms can call for heat, but the SRT's on all will still operate so I would assume if you give priority to the 10 most commonly used large rooms that are likely to need their radiators on for the longest then the rest will take care of themselves as hopefully at least one room at any time amongst the 10 selected will be calling for heat.

It's a huge shame that this limitation exists!

I assume that any room with more than one radiator has only one temperature control point selected whether that is a wireless temp transmitter or an SRT.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

• gary333
    Options
    I believe the limit is now 25 rooms, not the previous 10
  • Klaus_Ludwig
    Options

Hi @gary333,

I think that you will find that it's 25 devices and 10 rooms. I have 11 rooms (excluding hot water control) and one room cannot call for heat.

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    According to this updated link it’s 25 individual devices each with their own schedules that can call for heat.

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3752262-how-many-rooms-can-i-have-in-my-tado-home

It states:

“So, in theory, if you have one tado° heating device per room, you can have up to 25 heating rooms in your Home.”

The help and support did used to mention 10 heating zones, but there is no reference anyone. However, the above article is worded clumsily
  • Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    Options
    @gary333 unfortunately @Klaus_Ludwig Is correct.
    The post you link to is right that 25 rooms could be heated each with a device.
    BUT only 10 can be selected as "zone controllers" and therefore switch on the boiler.
    To go back to @IanTaylor original question.
    While 10 room limit is irritating it is not likely to be a big problem in reality.
    I don't like the strategy of linking multiple rooms together as "one tado room". I would suggest it is better just to remove subservient rooms like bathrooms, toilets, utility rooms etc from being part of the 10. These rooms are not required to individually call the boiler.
    Try it, I think it will be fine.
  • gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Oh dear, apologies. :)

I think Tado should be explicit about that in the linked FAQ I provided above as it does appear to suggest 25 “heating rooms”. The language seems a bit cloak and dagger as a lay person would certainly read that you can have 25 individual controlled rooms.
  • Agree Tado should be more explicit. My system was installed by a large plumbing company and they were misled/misunderstood the Tado information. By then I had purchased the system.

Other competitors to Tado also seem to have similar limitations.

If there had been a competitor offering more than 10 rooms calling heat I would have purchased that system.

For many people the 10 room limit is not a problem, but I am lucky enough to have a large multiroomed house and for me it is a big problem. Others have also found it to be a problem.

As this has been highlighted for several years, I guess Tado are unlikely to be changing the 10 room limit. It must be something at the core of their electronics that cannot be changed, otherwise they would have updated it by now.

I do like the Tado system very much as it gives me a lot of control. Increasing the 10 room limit would make it close to perfect. But I guess I will have to live with it as it is.

• Klaus_Ludwig
    Options

Hi @IanTaylor,

I should have been more specific in my initial reply to also mention the 25 device limit which has been referred to a number of times (including by myself) in this thread. That is also a limiting factor in addition to the 10 room heat call limit for those with large houses. 

I agree with @Pete regarding your best strategy in the circumstances.