How to read the tado graph

I've been monitoring the tado graphs for each room for quite some time now. They are great for seeing how the temperature fluctuates throughout the day, but there is no "key" to explain the shadings below the line.

Take a look at the graph below ...

There are 4 shades of grey - but what do they represent?

My assumptions have been:

1. Lightest shade means that the room is above the set temperature and no request is being made to "heat" the room.
  2. Next shade up identifies when a request for heat is made to the boiler.
  3. 3rd shade ??
  4. Darkest shade indicates the boiler is attempting to heat the room i.e., indicates how long the boiler is consuming energy

The above room is an open plan Kitchen/ living room with underfloor heating. We have a huge 6m sliding glass door which obviously represents the greatest heat loss risk especially at the temps seen recently. Up until recently, the dark grey areas have only appeared for 2 to 3 hours at most. With temps around freezing, it seems to be on the whole time. Or is it?

Am I correct in thinking the dark grey area equates to "heat", or could it just signify that the actual temperature is way below the temp set?

Strictly speaking both scenarios should be the same, but the fact there is a dip between 13:00 and 16:00 above leaves me to believe the room wasn't being heated during this period and the graph is merely telling me how much of a deviance there is to the temp set. If that's the case, I've either got a problem with the communication between my room thermostat and my boiler, or my boiler has a problem supplying appropriate heat to the underfloor system. FYI I'm using a tado room thermostat that is hard wired to the heating system.

Can anyone confirm what the shades actually represent?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks Andrei and for the tip about holding your finger on the graph - wasn't aware of that.

Checking security cameras, looks like my wife opened the sliding glass door briefly to dispose of some rubbish around 2pm which probably explains why the temp dropped. A shock that it continued to fall until 4pm before effectively heating up the room though. I guess that's the issue with underfloor heating though as it isn't as fierce/ instant as the radiators in other rooms.

Using your rationale, looks like the 3 wavy bars (when you use your finger on the screen) represent the heat state - light grey/ 0 bars = no heat request; 2nd grey/ 1 bar = request made; 3rd grey/ 2 bars = medium power; 4th grey (darkest)/ 3 bars = full power.

Cheers!