w.Intercom = i;What’s the difference between these TRVs? — tado° Community

What’s the difference between these TRVs?

I have an Ideal Vogue boiler and a Nest thermostat. I bought these TRVs from Amazon https://amzn.eu/d/3zPEJES and https://amzn.eu/d/65qiGyM for individual room temp control. I had to buy the “WiFi starter kit V3+” to get the bridge - couldn’t find it available on its own. The V3+ basic TRVs appear to have fewer functions than the other TRVs I bought (eg they are for horizontal radiator valves with no orientation choice - I have vertical radiator valves). I am trying to understand the difference. Is one more recent than the other? Can anyone provide some further info to help me understand the difference? Can’t find it on the Tado website or on here.

Best Answers

• policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I found the basic ones literally that, basic and we personally prefer the ones with the large temp readout.
    The basic ones came out later. @wateroakley and @davidlyall might have some further comment.
    We tend to use the basic ones in corridors where we set them and forget them; the more fancy ones are used in bedrooms and areas where there is a greater need to adjust heat as people come and go in the house. It is easier to read the temp as one changes it.
  • davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Interesting feedback @policywonk.

I don't have any basic TRVs but would likely use them as you have or in conjunction with a wireless temp sensor.

Personally, I'd like to see Tado offer an even more basic TRV without any sensors or manual adjustment capability. It would be intended to be used in conjunction with WTS or smart thermostat and would only be there to open/close the radiator flow. This would save unnecessary expense in buying hardware with capabilities that aren't going to be used if a WTS or smart thermostat is in place

Answers

• SueL
    SueL
    edited October 20
    Thanks both. Yea I installed them all then re-arranged/moved them so the rooms we use most have the ones with more functionality and I can orient to suit our vertical radiator valves. The others I’ve put in rooms we use less frequently. It was not specified when I bought the starter kit that the TRVs were for horizontal radiator valves 🤔 so now I feel I will need to buy the others eventually 😡 . They’ll do as they are for now.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator

@SueL Hi. Sorry, we don't have any of the basic TRVs. AFAIK, the difference is that they are 'basic' and were cheaper. We recently purchasd two standard TRvs for under £40 each from the big on-line store 'A…' in their October sale.

• Wateroakley yes I will be waiting for Black Friday 💰