w.Intercom = i;Where to put my wireless thermostat. — tado° Community

Where to put my wireless thermostat.

I have installed TADO V3 with several TRV's, my issue is where to position the wireless thermostat. Currently it is temporarily on a wall in the lounge. I have the lounge and hall open plan and both areas have the smart TRV's running.

Should the thermostat be elsewhere?

One other point if I may, do users have the TRV's on all radiators or do you have one without? I'm thinking all should be equipped.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Almost all our radiators have smart TRVs (the ones in the bathrooms dont have smart TRVs because they keep towels dry and therefore only use a basic flow control valve screwed down to a low level.

It made a huge difference over 2 years to our costs to have smart TRVs and over three years it paid paid for itself.

One presumes that the wall thermostat is somehow being used to drive the actual trigger for the boiler, pump, zone valves - which is somewhere else. What is that trigger? Is it a single wired thermostat, or an extension kit?

When I installed my extension kit, I didnt use a wall stat - the extension kit (aka wireless receiver) took the messages from all the rooms and kicked off the boiler when CH heat was needed.

We tend to fit a smart wall sensor when we need a proxy that actuall commands a wired stat (sitting in the boiler cupboard) to turn the heating on or off, when that wall sensor needs heat. Look up the role of zone controller on this forum and you'll hopefully understand. It is clever and useful. Hope this helps.

• wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator

@BeerstalkerSB Hello. The system is flexible over what to do. Potential options for an open-plan home:

1. Group the hall and lounge as one Room and use the wireless thermostat in a central locaiton as the tempreature measuring device. This will be the most accurate temperature +/- 0.1 deg C. Probably the best option.
    2. Group the hall and lounge as one Room and use one of the TRVs as the tempreature measuring device. Less accurate +/- 0.5 deg C from the TRVs and subject to the vagueries of radiator locations.
    3. Create two Rooms. Both 'rooms' will have separate temperature measurements. I wouldn't recommend this option. -

Your last question about using TRVs on all rads will depend on the boiler and plumbing. The heating system will usually need an internal or external 'bypass'. Without a bypass the boiler could overheat and could go into a fault condition. Sometimes the boiler has internal bypass, sometimes an external bypass is fitted, sometimes it's just a rad without a TRV. All depends on the boiler and how the plumbing has been designed/installed. If in doubt, best to speak with a professional that knows your boiler and heating system.