w.Intercom = i;Upgrading existing controls. New member thinking of buying? — tado° Community

Upgrading existing controls. New member thinking of buying?

I've an oil boiler so cant modulate my heating. I have a 2 channel programmer for heating and hot water control which is a Horstman Model H21 Channelplus XL and a wired in separate Drayton RTS 1 room stat. The H21 controls the heating and hot water and switches on the stat when the heating is on.

I was wondering about just replacing the wired Drayton RTS 1 heating stat with the TADO wired stat as an option? The stat has Live, Neutral, and call wire plus earth. I'm not sure if the stat wiring is live when the heating is off however as the stat relay doesn't click? Will this be sufficient wiring for the TADO to be Wired as a replacement?

By leaving the H21 in place I will still have heat and hot water controls but I presume I would switch the heating to perm on to allow the new stat to take over full heating control?

Have I got this right and is my wiring ok for the Wired Tado stat??

My other option is the full V3 kit which will replace the H21 too but much more difficult wiring. This would have the added advantage of HW control but no on the wall control anymore?

Should I be looking at TADO X instead?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    edited October 17

You said that you have an oil boiler which cant be modulated. We've got three boilers at our centres which are oil fired and one is modulated. Whats the brand and model?

I would not recommend keeping the Horsman, even though it is a very well made programmer. Dump it, add an extension kit and you will genuinely benefit from the change.

You can, if you have 3 hours put all this together with an extension kit. The procedure takes about 9 major steps, can be completed in 3 hours, no more. Come back if you decide to go ahead.

• You've not really answered the question about the wired Tado
  • It can work. The stat uses its own batteries to inform the Internet bridge and in relay mode it works basically.
    LIVE from the old stat to COM
    NEUTRAL goes to P1
    EARTH goes to P2
    CALL goes to NO
    Make sure the batteries at mounted and log it into the app.
    Commission it via the app.

There will be glitches because the Tado system won't have enough opportunity to manage heat in the house. The shut down and warm up cycles are out of its control
  • I had presumed a wired stat swap wouldn't need battery's? Don't want batterys really.
  • policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    edited October 17
    If you want the Tado stat to control anything it needs those batteries. It will need those batteries to switch.