w.Intercom = i;For the last year I've had issues with Tado randomly turning the heating on — tado° Community

For the last year I've had issues with Tado randomly turning the heating on

As the title says, I've had issues with Tado randomly turning the heating on without being prompted to. The frost protection is also set up correctly.

Originally I assumed that the issue was caused by living in an old house in the UK that has thick floors and walls, with our internet being 37Mbps and the boiler being in the basement.

Recently, we've replaced our internet with 500Mbps fibre, yet I'm still seeing the same issue with the heating randomly turning on. I now actually have an internet connection on my phone while standing in the basement, so I'm starting to believe it could be something else. The router is only in the room above the basement.

Is there anything else likely causing the issue?

Best Answer

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Conizur the first thing I would check is in the app go to the room in question and click on the graph as this can often provide clues. Then look at the periods where the heating is coming on when you don't expect. If tado believes it was told to do something it'll show up on the graph. Is it happening at the same time? What is the symbol that is displayed at the bottom of the graph screen when it turns on?

If it's a hand symbol, then tado believes a "manual control" event has occurred. This symbol appears when somebody has manually set the temperature via the device itself or via the app. However, it also appears if a smart assistant has set the temperature via a routine.

Have you got any Alexa or Google routines that turn devices on/ off? The reason I ask, is sometimes these so called smart assistants get in a muddle if the "turn on" command is too vague - i.e not only does it turn a light on in a given room, it also turns the heating on. This can normally be fixed by making the command much more specific. Just a thought.

If, however, none of the above applies and the graph shows tado thinks the heating should be off, then the issue is likely nothing to do with tado, and could be a stuck valve or something else.

Answers

• policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    edited October 12
    Is this a digital control or a relay type of control?
    Whatever part is triggering the boiler, have you considered disconnecting it from the boiler and wiring it to a tiny lamp instead to then monitor whether it is really the random trigger?
    The alternative might be to contact support and ask them to track the firing requests in the last 2-3 days and suggest what might be going wrong...
  • @cbd20. Learned something today!