w.Intercom = i;Lan extender for Bridge Internet connection — tado° Community

Lan extender for Bridge Internet connection

Hello,

Unfortunately, if my understanding is correct, the connections for the Internet Bridge, radiator thermostats, and boiler receiver are made via direct connection and not through Wi-Fi. So, when I plug the bridge into my router (which is quite off-center in my house), it works, but the thermostats that are too far away and the boiler receiver do not connect. When I plug the bridge into a Devolo (LAN extender via electrical outlet), the bridge connects, receives its IP address, but after a few minutes, the LAN extender loses its internet connection. Does anyone have a solution to place my bridge in a central position in the house without running a 20-meter RJ45 cable from my router?

Thank you for your help.

Thiele

Comments

• wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator

@Thiele Hello. Our rellie plugs their internet dongle into a cheap TP/Link Wi-Fi extender with an Ethernet port and separate power block. It works well for them in their Edwardian villa.

• policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    edited October 9
    Do you use your Devolo network for other stuff like driving your streaming service?

The problem is that since 2008 Devolos have handled very high speed virtual ethernet, but assume full duplex communication, which means that the root tado node may get fed up waiting for the node handling the Tado bridge. Tado V3+ bridges are 10Mb/s half duplex devices.

Suggestion?
    Fit a managed 4 port or 8 port switch onto the Devolo device presently handling the bridge.
    1. Plug the bridge into that, then the Tado bridge to the Devolo.
    2. Log into the Devolo network and ensure that none of the adaptors is running with powersave switched on. This will stop them falling asleep when the Tado has nothing to say.
    2. Log into the managed switch.
    3. Configure the specific port, in which the bridge is plugged, for 10 megabits half duplex. Make sure the switch does not have DHCP turned on.
    This should convert the 10Mb/s half duplex feed into 1Mb/s full duplex and the Internet feed should be stable.

Second hand Netgear gs108 or similar should be cheap on Ebay.
  • Hello @policywonk

Well, I do not think this is the problem, since the I am connected (through wifi) to the same devolo (not Lan). While on meeting it just stop. But…
    I have plug the Bridge to another Devolo, and it works, but, this Devolo is connected to google hotspot through Lan maybe that avoid the devolo to sleep. I will now try with that Devolo and put it at the place the other was (trying to see if if was the layout of the Devolo or the devolo itself). But at least it seems that I have a solution. If not working I will try you solution, whyle I am noy sure about how to configure (in point 3) the specific port. I guess I shall connect to rooter, check for assigned port of the budge and change parameters?

Best ergards,

Christophe

• Do you have Windows?

Download Devolo Cockpit from Devolo's site.

Log into the Develo network by attaching to it, and then run Develo Cockpit. It will display your entire Devolo network.

You then need to work out which Devolo device handles the Tado internet bridge, and also identify the device which is directly plugged into your router. The latter is likely to be a one port device.

Using Devolo Cockpit, log into both, scroll down, alter their power saving settings to make sure they do not have power saving mode turned on.

If this leads to either major interruptions in your streaming services or seemingly the internet service failing, then adopt the strategy involving the managed switch. It definately fixes it.