w.Intercom = i;Question about hardware capability. — tado° Community

Question about hardware capability.

Hello, Having read a lot of topics about the range issue that I too am experiencing I was wondering if anybody knew if although the Tado devices do not use 2.4 or 5ghz wireless to communicate is it actually available but not implemented in the hardware. A lot of devices if they have ethernet networking also have wireless capability. If it is available but not implemented then perhaps instead of using the ethernet to connect to the internet, you could implement the wireless and use that to connect the wireless bridge to the internet and the wireless bridge could then be positioned anywhere there is power and a wifi signal as to enable the best connections for all devices and thermostats over the low power connection. Obviously if not available this wont work.

Answers

• wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator

@Techteam To improve the positioning of the Internet Bridge, it can be connected into a cheap wifi extender (with ethernet port) and a separate power block. Our rellie has their Tado bridge connected this way, in a bedroom of their 3-storey Edwardian Villa.

IIRC, from a previous life … the underlying wireless standard for 6LowPAN (used by Tado) is 802.15.4. The 802.15 concept is for a low-power and low data rate standard, with a practical range of circa 10 metre. It's used by higher layers such as (amongst others) Zigbee, 6lowpan, Thread & Matter.