w.Intercom = i;Underfloor and conventional heating - help please — tado° Community

Underfloor and conventional heating - help please

Have underfloor downstairs where individual wired room stats, calling for heat, open the motorised valve to the manifold (turning on boiler), and the appropriate room valve. Upstairs there are radiators (with thermostatic valves) , and only one wireless stat controls the motorised valve feeding them. Hot water is controlled by a tank stat and a third motorised valve. I want to install tado solution for phone control.
I keep reading your technical help, and think I know what I need, but as it's not a cheap solution I want to be as sure as I can be with your help please.

Answers

• policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    edited September 23
    You've taken on the most expensive part of this, ie the UFH + 3 zone logic. My home has a similar layout and after firing Tado smart rad stats to all the radiators, a full starter kit. And replacing all the wired thermostats with Tado ones, the house started to cost less to heat and it became more comfy.

Have a look at this diagram, I presume you've seen it before. It was developed by @cjcraigj1 and it made things easier for me to plan my system properly.

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https%3A%2F%2Fus.v-cdn.net%2F6031070%2Fuploads%2F3CLQOAPRBJ5V%2Ftado-wiring-diagram-copy.jpg

Do I presume right that there is a UFH wiring centre in place that drives the boiler, and also triggers the motorised valves?

Does it give you enough? Do you need an explanation of the logic?

What precisely do you need?
  • Thankyou,

Thats helpful.

I dont have a special wiring centre in the manifold area like you show. The downstairs wired stats each go to the relevant valve in the manifold, of course, but the motorised valves and everything else is configured upstairs in the airing cupboard in a simple wiring centre, with no pre wired stuff in it - basically a big chocolate bar connector inside a plastic box.

However, I do understand the existing wiring well, and if I study your diagram I will try to figure it all out - remapping onto what i have here.

What I am not sure of is the particular Tado products I need to specify in an order. In this forum people seem familiar enough to refer to something, often using slightly differing names I think, sometimes with X in the number for example? I am a bit pedantic but at the price I really want to get the order right first time…..

• You can always start small and build the system over time.

Perhaps start with a wired thermostat starter kit and TRVs for the upstairs rads. You can then add further wired thermostats for the UFH rooms. Note that there is a 10 room limit on devices that can call for heat. This doesn't limit you to 10 rooms but only rooms that can demand heat. Any remaining rooms would still benefit from the Tado schedules and phone control but would only get heat if another device is already calling for it.

The references to X that you see are the new range of Tado products. I don't believe they're officially released in the UK yet but are available in mainland Europe. They have the advantage of working with Thread and if you have a larger property, you can have additional "bridge" devices so range should not be an issue as it can be with Tado V3+. However, a number of early adopters of X are reporting issues so I would recommend holding off. Tado has stated that support and hardware availability of V3+ will be continue but it will likely be discontinued at some point

• I think I need a Tado V3+ wireless heating and hot water smart thermostat starter kit (141KT) for upstairs.
    Then replace the existing wired stats to underfloor heating with Tado smart wired heating thermostats (983HT) in each downstairs room.
    I presume they will all work together.
    The wiring is also clearer thanks to your help here.
  • I think you need the wired starter kit as I would assume the existing upstairs thermostat will control a zone valve and that functionality should remain. If you add TRVs to the upstairs, then the wired thermostat would be their zone controller.

An advantage of keeping the zone valve is that you're only pumping CH water where it needs to be instead of around additional pipework

• I have a wireless hive system upstairs, it controls the hot water and, via a thermostat in our bedroom, all the radiators off or on. Each rad has a thermostatic mechanical valve on the flow.
    It works well. My problem is the 5 wired room thermostats downstairs that work the underfloor manifold. I can't schedule them on my phone and ,from JG they are a nightmare to program. We are away a lot and want to be able to control ALL the heating remotely. It appeals to have one system from one vendor on one control panel - but maybe over the top.
  • Hive don't do s wired thermostat I could replace the downstairs underfloor stats with. Each hive thermostat needs a hub ( that's 5! Somewhere to place?) and the mains voltage wire they need to switch would be nowhere near the hub, wherever it's sited. So can't extend with hive. They have no solution for me.
    Tado sell a thermostat (switches mains voltage to the manifold), wall mounted to replace the JG ones. Super. So I started from there and am thinking about replacing all the existing stuff with the tado solution being discussed.
    Many thanks for the advice...