w.Intercom = i;Can I do it myself? — tado° Community

Can I do it myself?

Hi all, just looking for some advice please. I've got a dual zone set up with wired Danfoss thermostats upstairs and downstairs. After speaking with Tado customer support, they advised that I can replace the downstairs thermostat with a wired Tado (as I want to keep the same location) and I can replace the upstairs wired thermostat with a wireless Tado (as I want to move the location of the thermostat).

My question is, is it easy to replace the thermostats myself? I'm fairly competent but not sure if I should get my plumber to do it (who is charging £140) or if I can crack on with it myself?

Answers

• wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 23

Hello @Gsj87 Welcome.

In principle, you will require two Tado devices to replace your existing thermostats. Downstairs can be the wired thermostat. For upstairs there are two options. A. a wired thermostat as the zone controller that connects to the zone valve/boiler as well as the wireless room stat. B. a wireless receiver and wireless room stat.

The A or B decision depends on more information about your heating system.
    Is your boiler a combi? Or a system boiler with a hot water tank and (presumably) three zone valves?
    What timer/programmer do you have?

The answers will point to either … a wireless starter kit and wired thermostat; or a wired starter kit, second wired stat and a wireless stat.

Then it’s how confident you are from the answers; versus £140 for a professional.

• Hi @wateroakley, thanks for your response. So I have purchased a v3 wireless starter kit for the upstairs and a wired thermostat for the downstairs, which means I would be going for option B.

The boiler is a combi boiler (Logic Esp1 35). The two wired thermostats are Danfoss TP5000.

Do I simply follow the instructions on the app or is there more to it?
  • rafm5
    rafm5 Volunteer Moderator

It sounds like a Barratts Homes configuration.
    I would probably go for the simpler (A) configuration as it requires less effort.