w.Intercom = i;Current status of open-source/API integration on V3+ and X models — tado° Community

Current status of open-source/API integration on V3+ and X models

Hi everyone, I am going to buy a tado system soon for my apartment and unfortunately I just discovered that only the V3+ model supports my boiler (a Vaillant VCW 180 with analog control). If I would buy a X I would have to rely only on Relay on/off.

As I am interested (or have the possibility) to integrate the heating into a larger system, I did read a good part of the threads in this forum, but I feel a summary/update may be useful. I have a few questions just to correctly understand if it is more convenient to lose V3+ modularity for Matter protocol.

Local control via open channels:

1) As far as I understand the V3+ internet bridge has no local API, but can communicate with Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Home. Does it do locally? If yes, is there by any means a way to use these channels "openly" (simulating to be the device, although I expect the answer to be no)?

2) The X model uses the Matter protocol, and as far I understand an OpenThread router (e.g. on Raspberry) can be used to connect the devices. Is there a way with the X models to locally control the receiver using OpenThread?

Remote control via API:

As far as I have read, tado offers unofficial APIs. Home Assistant is considered an official integration, as well as openHAB. I guess since are platform API, they are independent on the V3+/X models.

3) Are API/openHAB/Home Assistant integrations currently working well on both V3+ and X? Do they allow both GET and POST requests?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• martini
    martini Volunteer Moderator

1) As far as I understand the V3+ internet bridge has no local API, but can communicate with Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Home. Does it do locally? If yes, is there by any means a way to use these channels "openly" (simulating to be the device, although I expect the answer to be no)?

V3 does nothing locally - everything passes through the bridge, to tado's servers and from there to Alexa, Google Home, …

2) The X model uses the Matter protocol, and as far I understand an OpenThread router (e.g. on Raspberry) can be used to connect the devices. Is there a way with the X models to locally control the receiver using OpenThread?

In theory: Yes. People have had varying amounts of success to use a 3rd party control surface/border router, and officially only a few select Apple and Amazon Echo devices are supported. But it should be possible.

As far as I have read, tado offers unofficial APIs. Home Assistant is considered an official integration, as well as openHAB. I guess since are platform API, they are independent on the V3+/X models.

They are not official integrations, but lacking a proper public API-documentation, tado is linking to those integrations, since they made a good job of self-documenting the API.

3) Are API/openHAB/Home Assistant integrations currently working well on both V3+ and X? Do they allow both GET and POST requests?

As far as I am aware, only V3 is actively being using via API in the HA-integration; X should be using the Matter/Thread integration. I have seen someone starting work on a X API-integration/-library though. The API is still a REST-API (so yes: POST/GET are supported), but apparently there are some subtle differences between the V3 and X API.

• Thank you very much for the exhaustive explanation!