Website maintenance scheduled June 18-21.

Difficulties accessing portions of the community or navigating certain sections may occur.

Is there really a need....

Options

…to have more than one smart TRV in any room? One of mine went belly-up today and I immediately thought of replacement and then thought twice! At the moment it's without a 'head' but may well re-fit a manual one if the need arises.

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited May 19
    Options

……given the response (!!) it looks as though I am the only idiot who has fitted multiples. Quite looking forward now to fitting a manual head with its considerably finer tuning enabling a better balance across the whole room methinks.

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

@samd Our upstairs landing has two identical rads with two TRVs and the room temperature is well balanced. Let us know how you get on.

• SteveIreland
    Options

I haven't got more than one radiator in a room, but I would have said it was imperative to do so to keep the room temperature properly balanced, and to tell the boiler to turn off once the set temperature has been reached. I reckon it would be tricky to keep a constant temperature across the room with a manual TRV on one of the rads.

I only have manual TRVs in rooms I do not use, and that I turn off completely or just leave the door open to allow some heat into them.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

I have two rooms which have two TRVs driven by wireless temperature sensors. Previously I didn't have the latter but working this way has improved temperature consistently . . .

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited May 21
    Options

I should have mentioned that the room is controlled by a Wireless temp sensor which, of course will call for heat. My role is to mess about with the manual setting on rad 2 just as we would have done in the old days when buying a new house! Couple of days fun next autumn. You'll have to wait till then for me to come back crying cos I'm not wasting heat in our wonderful British summer!!

I should add that my 'reasoning' has been fuelled by my almost certain knowledge that in all the years of having this set up, I have never witnessed the 2 rads working at different output levels. They both have under-rad mains-powered fans the sound of which changes on output.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

What I meant by 2nd para above is that neither of my rads would reduce output were the occasion to arise in which one part of the room (and rad) was equal to/above target temperature. They would carry on at same output until the measuring device declares otherwise on behalf of the whole room. So they are not smart really once under a measuring device.

• SteveIreland
    Options

I think we are getting confused because we don't know what your setup is. All we know is you have a wireless room thermostat in one room with two radiators.

I personally don't quite understand when you say "I should add that my 'reasoning' has been fuelled by my almost certain knowledge that in all the years of having this set up, I have never witnessed the 2 rads working at different output levels." as I was until that point of the understanding you had Tado Smart TRVs on both rads, so that would explain why you never appeared to suffer an imbalance. If I am right, you almost certainly will witness an imbalance in the future without smart TRVs on both rads at the point the room thermostat attempts to shut off the single smart TRV in a room with 2 rads 9when up to temperature); the one with the Tado TRV will go cold, the one with the dumb TRV will remain hot, creating am imbalance.

Of course, if you only have that one room downstairs, and a two zone heating system controlling upstairs separately then it could work as when the thermostat is told to turn off the one (of the two) rads, it will turn off the boiler as well (as long as the upstairs zone is not calling for heat, in which case the dumb TRV rad will begin to heat up again). But in this case, why have any smart TRVs at all.

Again, perhaps I'm just not understanding your specific setup, but having understood how smart heating works, I deduced that only rooms that are regularly out of use and can be physically disconnected from the rest of the house with a door can have dumb TRVs fitted (in my case unused bedrooms and the study), all other rooms need a minimum of a smart TRV, but better to have smart TRVs and wireless room thermostats. Tado themselves quote this in their advertising, so I'm pretty sure that as I've concluded the same as Tado, that they must be right.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@SteveIreland Useful thanks.

I had written a very complete response off line explaining my somewhat unique setup only to discover that the belly-up device is now working again. Suffice it to say that I would have needed to turn off the manual control every evening before bed and re-set before use on schedule something an 82 year old retiree could have managed OK. I like playing with kit!

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Options

If you do need to replace then better to just buy their basic TRV since you're already using a wireless temp sensor

Without a TRV on the rad, it would keep pumping out heat into the room if other rooms are calling for heat. I think this would mess up the thermostat's learning