Reduce water hammer sound by slowly closing the radiator valve

Options
Sometimes Tado closes the radiator valves very quickly, which makes a loud bang due to water hammer. This can be bad for the equipment and it scares my kids.

If the radiator valve would be closed more slowly, this would significantly reduce the amount of sound produced.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

I do not know whether that can be done but if it bothers you, you could add a short episode of reduced temperature at the end of each heat schedule so that it only ever turns off from reduced output.

• Silvan
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion, but the valves close regularly when the requested temperature has been reached, not only when the schedule ends. It's always a surprise when it happens, mainly in the middle of the night it can be quite startling
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@Silvan I am no tech expert but the speed of closure is governed by the design of the motor; the battery power available and by a spring and the amount of system water pressure those two issues have to 'fight' against. You add to that the distance it has to travel.

If you are saying you are getting water hammer when closing from 1/3 open (it wouldn't close from fully open) is your system pressure too low or your valves very old?