Can you power wireless receiver via standard plug?

Options
Quesh
Quesh
edited January 27 in General Questions & Topics
We currently have our wireless receiver powered and connected via our boiler. We have intermittent connection issues, and I would like to be able to remotely restart the receiver by turning power off via a smart plug.

Is there any reason I can't just terminate the neutral and live coming from the boiler, and instead wire a new cable for the power supply to a standard plug, so just the controller cables remain connected to the boiler?

Comments

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Options
    I suspect the wiring regs might have something to say about that, you might end up with the boiler and wireless receiver on different circuits and could mean the switched live to the boiler would be coming from a different “source” than its own fixed supply. I also think the regs may specify that both the boiler and the receiver should be connected by fixed wiring rather than via a plug. NB, I’m aware the EU version of the RX comes with a pre fitted continental plug . . .
  • Quesh
    Quesh
    edited January 27
    Options
    Thanks. I guess the other option would be an inline relay, so run the boiler supply through an interim box with a smart relay in and just splice the power wires through that?
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    I suppose you could do that but is the problem that the receiver is losing contact with the bridge (slow blinking LEDs) I had that problem and moving the receiver nearer to the bridge has solved it . . .
  • wateroakley
    Options

You should you engage a qualified professional with your wiring question.