Radiator valve closed while calling for heating request with 1 wave

Options

Smart Radiator Thermostat keep my boiler constantly running in attempt to heat the room, but they keep my radiator valve closed.

This means the radiator is cold, while the boiler is running for nothing, and wasting gas. Due to this behaviour my gas consumption jumped 30% than before i installed Tado.

Support keeps pointing me to testing of "faulty" SRVs, instead of opening a bug ticket for the developers.

It's not possible that all 6 of my valves are encountering the same issue.

Heating with 2 and 3 waves heat request works perfectly fine, because the valve then opens.

Expected behaviour for me would be when heating with 1 wave, open the valve partially at least.

Best Answer

• josipoviciwan
    Answer ✓
    Options

Support tweaked my hardware parameters, and now the radiators are warm even with step 1 heat demand.

I will track my consumption, and heating charts for a few days, and write a feedback/conclusion on this topic.

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Just to be clear, are you saying this is a fairly new installation and that you have proved for ALL your valves that they are closed when the boiler is firing solely for each one?

• josipoviciwan
    edited January 3
    Options

@samd

I have the installation for 2 months now, and started noticed the boiler was constantly running, once i saw my consumtpion went up. When i checked Tado, highest heating call was 1 wave at the moment. Then i started inspecting and noticed this happens for all rooms.

Also rumbling noises started to happen from the radiators/pipes, because all radiators are shut by Tado, and the boiler + pump are called to work, which caused flow issues.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

So to be absolutely clear, you have proved for all your valves that, when calling for heat albeit on the margins and showing 1 flame, each is actually closed but the boiler is firing!

Not sure what our experts here might say but I suspect tado are right and you have a bad batch of valves!

• josipoviciwan
    edited January 4
    Options

@samd

My final test Yesteday was with one off the valves, while it was requiring 1 flame heat and the radiator was cold (boiler running), i took off the Tado radiator head, and set it to OFF temperature.

Expected behaviour would be for the Tado head pin to close completely (extract as far as possible) since it was requiring heat and switched to off afterwards, but it stayed in place, which means it was in off position already.

Afterwards i set the heating to max to get 2-3 flames, and the pin on the head contracted completely which is fine, because this means that the radiator flow is open now.

Also, I'm not the first with this issue: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/15405/radiator-valve-closed-while-calling-for-heat

Also support recalibrated all of my valves before this, thus it's not a calibration issue

• josipoviciwan
    Options

Also here you can see the temperature is dropping within the 1 flame heating areas, and only starts to rise after 2 flame heating areas. This shows the radiators were not heating at those times, but the boiler is running for both 1 and 2 flames heating requests, which means it was running almost the whole night, instead of just the 5 two flames areas that were enough to keep the room warm.

This is a pure waist of money.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

Curiously I have noticed the opposite, a valve will call for heat at the 1 flame setting, I hear the valve open slightly, but the boiler does not fire . . .

• josipoviciwan
    edited January 5
    Options

@hugbilly

This would be expected behaviour, open the radiator in case the boiler is still running or just circulating warm water from another devices heat request, but don't start the boiler by yourself since the temperature is not low enough in the room.

• Bech
    Options
    Hi.

I have the exact same problem!
    When I have a room with only 1 flame the boiler is running but the radiator is cold.
    Also if I have a radiator heating with 2-3 flames, it will get hot. Then if a radiator (on the same pipe line from the boiler) begins to heat with 1 flame the radiator stays cold. Very annoying.
  • josipoviciwan
    edited January 8
    Options

@Bech

Which valves do you have?

Mine are Danfoss:

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    Out of interest, did it take a lot of persuading for them to do it?
  • 3 Attempts with the support, each time a different operator. And in the end I literally had to say "Hardware is fine, open a bug ticket". Then they did, and in a week the ticket was solved.

But since now this is a "known" issue, and the solution is easy, I believe you could reference to this topic, and that they could sort it out for you much faster.