How can extend the range of the system?

Options

Is there anything thing I can do or buy to boost the range of my Tado system. I live in quite a large victorian house with 3 floors and thick walls. I cannot use Tado valves in all rooms. I have tried moving the bridge around, but if I can get a connection in one place, I loose it in others. Is there a third party device that might help or is Tado planning to release any new product? I read somewhere that wrapping the valves in tin foil can help, surely there is a better solution than that.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    This has been a problem with Tado for years. Not looking like there’s going to be a solution any time soon either.
  • hugbilly
    Options
    No, sadly this is tado’s Achilles heel . . .
  • wateroakley
    Options

Notwithstanding the many comments from users about lack of range ... our rellie has it working in a three-storey Edwardian villa. The internet dongle is in a first floor bedroom, plugged into the ethernet socket of a wifi extender and separate USB power. Our own compromise is to use a dumb TRV on the conservatory rad, the furthest room from the dongle.

• CukeUK
    Options

Wiser have a solution for their system as the smart plugs also act as range extenders. It's a shame that tado don't even manufacture smart plugs really.

• Very much a kludge, but it CAN improve reception, is to place a tin-foil 'reflector' between a rad valve and the wall, with the obvious point being that the 'reflector' needs to be in the direction of least restricted line of signal sight to the bridge.

It's obviously not very domestically attractive, but if it does solve what might be a one valve problem and given Tado offer no solution, it is worth a go.

• Barnsbury
    Options

I will give the tin foil suggestion a go, thank you.

I find that sometimes all my valves connect, but then this becomes intermittent. I then find that I have to keep changing the batteries. All this is not very satisfactory. It is a shame that Tado have nothing to say on the matter.

I have just left some valves on a regular TRV rather than mess around trying to get everything to connect. It would be far better if the system could be configured to use your existing Wifi. I have a mesh system and have great connectivity throughout the house.

• paul0000
    Options

You could trying putting the internet bridge in the loft (if possible).

I've found this the best solution for our house but it took literally hours and moving a few cm at a time to get a reliable connection to most rooms (esp as the app is not live and seems to only update about every 20/30 minutes).

We have one rad that is 70% offline, but have been living with it.

Going to move away from tado to a zigbee system that will support my house fully.

• mindstorm
    Options

I have mine on top of the kitchen cupboards in as close to the centre of the house as possible. It communicates to the router via Amazon eero network. That was the best I could find for a 3 storey 1920's house.

• SPT
    Options
    Can you not bridge 2 routers together with the same SSID... So that the TRV can communicate? Or does it only work with the internet bridge?
  • hugbilly
    Options
    All the tado devices communicate with the bridge using their own RF system, WiFi is not involved . . .
  • JohnnyD
    Options
    Tado’s lack of support here is a disgrace.