Tado V3+ EU & Ideal Logic+ 24 Combi Setup. [UK]

Options

I've currently moved into my first home and am looking to install the V3+ StarterKit. I've read quite a few posts here and still find myself largely confused with how to proceed. ( I have absolutely zero experience with any of this stuff )

I'm in possession of a Ideal Logic+ 24 Boiler which is OpenTherm compatible, and I bought the EU version of the starter-kit because I had read its valuable to do so with water control? From what I can work out the house is pre-installed with a Honeywell bdr91a1000 as the receiver. Unfortunately the directions from Tado haven't really explained it well enough for me to understand. Maybe the attached pictures can explain why.

All I know at the moment is every boiler has the standard Neutral & Live, along with the 'Common' and the 'Normally Open/Closed' wires.

When I remove the front of the receiver I see the obvious, the Neutral and the Live, however the connector blocks in the receiver (seen below) show A, B & C. Judging from the diagram on the left side of the box. I'm inclined to believe that A is Common, B is Normally Open, and C is Normally Closed. Is this correct? A follow-up question to this is, if this is the wiring the old receiver uses and I'm looking to do a straight-swap. How does OpenTherm work? I had the expectation that it was going to be a different connection altogether?

Whilst I have my suspicions about what A/B/C belong to, I'm not totally confident in my self and was hoping that within the boiler would show something a little more useful. Unfortunately you can see from below it doesn't help much.

I can follow the wires along and have identified that the Neutral & Live are on the furthest left connector blocks. The other two from the receiver (A & B) go into the furthest right blocks. (Presumably thats why they have what I think is the word 'wireless' written on the wires in biro). However with that said, I don't know what the wires in the middle are, and can't really proceed with any degree of confidence. I especially don't want to make a mistake and be without heating this December.

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Any diagnostic/troubleshooting tips?

Whats the best way to proceed here?

Will OpenTherm work if I do a straight swap?

The EU version comes with an EU plug, but I presumably cut the plug off and wire it into the boiler's Neutral & Live, right?

(For total clarity here I did make sure the boiler was off from the fuseboard before I proceeded, I know that much, but not much more)

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Opentherm is a digital connection, while your receiver is 230v switched relay. There will be no straight swap! If you want to use Opentherm you’ll need to unwire the receiver and wire the tado wireless receiver digital connections (+ and -) into the digital terminals in the boiler. They should be labelled as Opentherm (I think).