Replacing a two zone system with a Wireless Thermostat Kit v3+

Options

Following the Tado website instructions, I've purchased a Wireless Thermostat Kit v3+ and a Wired Thermostat to update my existing two zone system (including separate hot water tank) which has two thermostats (one simple thermostat downstairs, a timer/thermostat upstairs) and a programmer next to the radiator. Can anyone tell me:

• Why a Wireless Thermostat Kit is recommended when I have two wired thermostats?
  • What do I do with the existing downstairs wired thermostat? If I leave it connected will it still affect my heating?
  • I'd ideally like to replace the downstairs wired thermostat for a tado smart wired thermostat (like the one I'm fitting upstairs to replace the wired thermostat there) would this affect the functionality of my system - like hot water control?

Thanks

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The wireless starter kit has a wireless receiver that, in the uk version, controls a hot water cylinder.

You can leave the existing thermostat connected but you won’t have control over that heating zone with tado.

Won’t have any effect on hot water control, that’s controlled by the wireless receiver.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

As Johnny says ... The wireless receiver and wireless room stat lets you control (time/temperature) one CH zone and time the Hot Water. The wired room stat lets you control the other CH zone. Add smart TRVs to suit your home.

• What did you land up doing in the end ... I seem to have a similar setup ... landed up buying the wired version starter + wired extra ... but now realise I need the wireless receiver, so ordered that.

I've just posted here:

• Many thanks for your help folks. I've also watched a few of the installation videos and now better understand the setups.

One of the videos showed the existing wired thermostat being removed, the wires being terminated by supplied Wago-style connector blocks and the wireless smart thermostat being installed at the same location. That's good with me. That should control demand for the downstairs zone along with the smart TRVs downstairs.

I'll use the wired smart thermostat on the upstairs circuit, directly replacing the existing timer/thermostat there. This should control demand for the upstairs zone and the smart TRVs there.

I have yet to install all this, but it seems quite simple now I understand it better. One final thing though...

Doing a bit of experimenting, it seems that the existing upstairs timer/thermostat doesn't work independently from the CH/HW programmer next to the boiler - i.e. I can get it to demand heat, but the boiler will only fire if the CH/HW programmer timer is set to 'on' (it's the right time of day or I've manually turned it on). I'm not entirely sure why this is the case - whether it's done for a good reason or just a quirk of the CH system as installed. So, I'm now wondering how things will work with the Tado Smart Receiver replacing my existing CH/HW programmer. Would it similarly affect the demand of the upstairs thermostat, or would the upstairs thermostat be completely independent?

Thanks again for any thoughts on this.