Help! is it modulating.

Options
opentherm
opentherm
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Can anyone help me, I've just had a new Vaillant ecofit boiler installed and I requested a wireless Tado thermostat rather than the Hive that was being fitted. The engineer told me that the Hive was a modulating stat but it obviously isn't hence my request for a Tado. Now after much research online I'm totally confused. He has fitted a UK version Tado Starter Kit V3+ inc. programmer with hot water control V3P-SK-WTS01BWRP01IB01-TC-UK-00, it's been configured as per the instructions for a combi boiler. So my question is, is this a modulating stat. Thanks

Answers

• royi
    royi ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

As your boiler is new check the manual to see if it is compatible with opentherm. The UK wireless version only supports on/off.

• opentherm
    opentherm
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yes my boiler is compatible, still confused as EE are selling the exact same model and clearly state that it is a modulating stat

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’ve just had a look on EE’s site and I can’t see that but regardless, if they are saying that they’re wrong, though Tado does pseudo modulation with relay connections, where it turns the boiler on and off to simulate modulation.
  • Claud1u
    Options

I've got the EU version installed on Vaillant EcotecPro on eBUS. Seems to work fine, but how can I tell if it is modulating or not?

• mindstorm
    Options

Looking at the UK installer instructions, it should be capable of being wired as Opentherm. You could open the extension kit (or smart thermostat box depending on your system) and see which connections have been used. The other way will be to check you CH flow temperature. If the boiler is set to 60 but the flow temp is much lower while the CH is on, it should be modulating. On a Vaillant, you can see the icon on the left of the diaplay showing the reduced output as well.