What Tado components to I need and how easy will be the install?

Options

Hi, I have a two zone system with an Ideal Icos boiler serving two radiator circuits and a separate hot water tank. There is a Danfoss FP/CP 715 Si programmer/controller downstairs near the boiler. The downstairs temperature is controlled by a simple Danfoss 087N110000 room thermostat. The upstairs is controlled by a Danfoss tp4000/tp5000si/tp5000/tp5001 (not entirely sure which of these it is). Most rooms also have thermostatic radiator valves. I may or may not replace some or all of these valves. Can you please:

Tell me what Tado Kit I will need to convert my system?

Give me an idea how complex it will be to fit?

Suggest which thermostatic valves I should prioritise and fit first?

Thanks

Best Answer

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The basics of two CH zones and HW. A wireless starter kit to control CH (downstairs) and HW. Plus an add-on wired stat to control CH (upstairs). Add TRVs to suit. Reliable internet connection. Installation is usually straightforward for a competent diyer. Reach out to Tado during the install, they provide wiring instructions. (Caveat: I’ve not looked at your controls in detail).

Be aware of the limitations. 25 devices and 10 zones. (With two heating zones, I presume you’re in a larger home?). Range of the internet dongle can be problematic in some larger homes or with very solid walls. Our rellie has a 3-storey Edwardian villa, he used a Wi-Fi extender with Ethernet port, on the first floor, to get good coverage. (Note: Tado does NOT use the ubiquitous 802.1 Wi-Fi). Check that you have typical branded dumb trv valves with 30mm screw top. E.g. Honeywell, Drayton TRV4, ecocal. There are adapters for many others. Avoid Pegler and beware of older obscure trv brands.

Personally, I’d recommend as many TRVs as you can budget for. Our ROI was less than 12 months at current gas prices. Start with the rooms you use most and use least. Our rellie prioritised the children’s bedrooms. That approach gives you comfort, with timed temperatures in the rooms you use, and can minimise heat wasted in those you don’t use often. If dongle range is an issue, you can keep the dumb trvs. HTH.