Which tado bits are required

Options
dealj
dealj
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics

I was using tado for about 5 years in a previous home, and will be buying the tado kit for my next property. My previous property was a single-floor apartment with combi boiler, I installed the following tado bits: smart internet bridge, smart thermostat in hallway (wired to a combi boiler which was in the kitchen), smart radiator valves on every radiator (including the hallway radiator where the wired smart thermostat was situated). I kept the smart thermostat permantely set to frost protect, to stop this taking over the temperature control of the hallway smart radiator valve.

My question is this: Was this setup perfectly acceptable, or could I have found a simpler solution with tado?

Am I correct in assuming the smart thermostat is needed for all of the smart radiator valves to communicate with the combi boiler (calling for heat) ? If this statement is correct, could the smart thermostat have been installed next to the combi boiler (in the kitchen), because it is only a communication link for the smart radiator valves to the combi boiler?

Or, can the smart radiator valves communicate directly with a wireless add on receiver (removing the smart thermostat from the equation)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best regards.

Comments

• wateroakley
    Options

You should be able to use a wired thermostat in the way you suggest. Alternatively, you could go for a wireless starter kit for your new home and take the wired thermostat out of the equation. All depends on how your new home heating is presently wired and configured.

• dealj
    Options

Thanks for your reply wateroakley. Is a smart thermostat always needed as an interface between: the smart radiator valves and boiler (wired setup), and between smart radiator valves and wireless receiver (wireless setup) ?

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

In S-plan or Y-plan systems, the zone valve that turns the boiler on and off is connected to either the connections on a wired smart thermostat or the connections on a wireless receiver. The wired room stat is battery powered and has wired connection for CH. The wireless receiver is mains powered and can be wired into both CH and HW, or be configured for a combi boiler with just CH.

The smart radiator TRVs are ‘connected’ wirelessly, through the internet dongle and internet servers, to a zone controller that is wired into the heating. That zone controller is the room stat or wireless receiver that’s connected by wires into your heating system.

• dealj
    Options

Is a smart thermostat required in a wireless setup, if it's not going to be used as an active thermostat?

Or to pose this question in another way, will smart trv's function correctly in a wireless setup without using a smart thermostat? (internet bridge, smart trv's, wireless receiver).

• wateroakley
    Options

Yes, that should work.

• spinnekop
    Options

I have exactly the same question. I bought a Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ (EU Version) - for Combi Boilers and Add-on Smart Radiator Thermostat Quattro.

The Smart TRVs are each controlling their own zones - kitchen, hallway, lounge and bedroom. If they receiver is getting called by the TRVs to start the boiler, what is the point of the Wireless Smart Thermostat?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You need it to control hot water, it can also give a more accurate temperature reading than a trv.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

With a combi boiler, you don't need it. However, the wireless thermostat is much more accurate: +/- 0.1 deg C for the room stat vs +/- 0.5 deg C for the TRVs. The TRVs are often low down on the radiators, which is not a particularly good location for accurately measuring the room temperature. You can also press the button to see the room temperature.