How do I change the hot water temperature through Ebus on a Glow-Worm Ultimate 30c

Options
I have a Glow-Worm Ultimate 30c, which is a combi, wired in via Ebus and all is working as it should. The only thing I'm unable to do is to control the hot water temperature. The slider appears in the app, but the change in temperature doesn't reflect on the boiler.

With Glow-Worms, if you install one of their own Ebus controllers (Climapro, etc.), you can only adjust the hot water temperature via the controller, as the boiler doesn't allow you to adjust temperature, due to the Ebus overriding set temperatures.

To work around this, I've changed the max hot water temperature under the installer settings. I've spoken to Tado and keep getting told that it will work if I buy a Wireless Temperature Sensor, however I don't see how that would allow someone to change the hot water temperature.

I'm also a gas engineer, so just wanted to find out if this is a strange limitation or it's just not working for me. If I was to install this in somebody else's heating system in the same way, I'd like to leave them with a way of changing the hot water temperature, as they shouldn't need to go into the installer level to adjust it.

I've been "guaranteed" by Tado that it will work, so am tempted to try it out. I just don't want to spend £90 on something when I really don't understand how it'll solve the problem. As I say, I can work around it myself, I just want to understand what I'd have to buy if I was installing it on a customers system.

Best Answer

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I think this has come up before. Tado requires a smart thermostat/wireless temp sensor in the system for hot water control. I think it’s just one of the quirks of the system. No idea why it couldn’t just be done in the app but that’s how they’ve programmed it.

Answers

• Thanks for that. I was just a bit baffled really, as I couldn't see anything in the documentation about this and I only have smart TRVs myself. I don't think I've come across something like that before, especially seeing as the temperature sensor is for the central heating.

I think I'll leave it as is. I've set the hot water how I previously had it, so don't really want to spend more on a hot water controller. I guess if I install one on another system, rather than putting in a boiler brand controller, I'll just have to let them know they'll need that as an extra.

Thank you for that. A lot more info than I got from Tado, who didn't really explain anything and just told me to buy one over and over.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    What is wired to your boiler? Presumably a wireless receiver/extension kit?
  • ilikecaterpillars
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yes, an EU wireless receiver, which is controlled by the TRVs in the house. They all work fine and I can control all the heating from the app, as they're all connected to the bridge. The wireless receiver is also connected to the bridge and the hot water option is in the app, it just doesn't seem to do anything. It just seems bizarre to me that a temperature sensor would be needed to adjust the hot water temperature, when the temperature sensor, as far as I'm aware, is essentially a better way of getting the room temperature, rather than relying on the TRVs.

I'm probably being really dense, but of all the central heating controls I've installed, this would be the first time I've come across this! Haha.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    No I don’t think you are, it’s something to do with tado needing to have an override control in case the Internet goes down. That’s the only reason I can think it requires a wireless temp sensor. It’s included in the starter kit anyway.