Upstairs / downstairs

Options

I have a Tado thermostat etc. but no Tado radiator thermostats.

I want to be able to heat upstairs or heat downstairs or both, so I need some Tado radiator thermostat valves.

There are 6 radiators upstairs and 6 radiators downstairs. Looks to me like I need 12 Tado thermostat radiator valves! ££££££

Am I correct?

If I just wanted to heat upstairs, I'd need 6 Tado radiator thermostat valves downstairs (so that I could switch downstairs off).

Am I correct?

Best Answers

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, basically that's the what you need unless you're lucky and you house has separate circuits for upstairs and downstairs controlled by motorised valves?

Are you a Costco member or know someone who is? They're doing tado products at good prices £425 for 8 smart TRVs. Tado price for the same would be £540

However, if you just want to be able to have the upstairs, downstairs or both on and are not bothered about individual rooms, it might be worth getting a plumber to split the heating circuit into two and having a wired smart thermostat upstairs

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes and yes, that's about right.

I took the view in February 2022 that a £640 'investment' for 'energy bill savings' was a big incentive to make it work for us. Our ROI, with 12 TRVs and two wireless stats, was about 11 months at present prices. The £750 total 'investment' has given us the control to save around £1,750 on the gas bills. The bonus is that room temperatures at home are much more comfortable for how we use them. A rellie, with an Edwardian Villa and two young children, likes the flexibility to heat the individual rooms by time of day to suit their use and bedtimes.

Obviously, the ROI depends on the energy you currently consume and how you can adapt your usage.

Answers

• RichardN
    Options

Yes, that's how I have mine setup.

Tado TRV heads downstairs, so I can block downstairs radiators and just have the upstairs wall thermostat calling for heat which goes round upstairs.

I didn't do every downstairs radiator, the one by the front-door I left un-tado'd so will always heat up, but it's cold in that hall anyway. You might find you can skip some radiators that you always want warm if either upstairs or all call for heat.