Replacing Honeywell ST6400C with TADO Wireless Starter kit V3

Options
WATTIE60
WATTIE60
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics

I have identified the Honeywell wiring as per attached and replaced with the TADO Wireless Receiver using the Y plan wiring instructions.

I have assumed CHx = CH NC (5 not wired) & CHo = CH NO as below. (7)

HWx = HW NC (4) & HWo = HW NO (6)

However the central heating is NOT coming on. Either TEST or Programmed. :-(

TADO devices all registered onto the network and powered on, communicating to the TADO app fine.

Suspect must be wiring issue not communicating with the boiler.

There is also this Honeywell unit installed.BDR91A1000, which i presume will need to be bypassed and removed, as this i believe not allowing the boiler to start from TADO

Any suggestions ?

Best Answer

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Glad to hear it's now working for you.

Answer: It depends on how you use your house and heat it. Having seen the results for our home (60s detached) and the flexibility for a rellie with young children in their Edwardian terraced home, I'd recommend adding as much control as possible.

The charts show the inefficency of the old controls with a 7-day programmer, room stat and 14 dumb TRVs. Working the old controls manually every day for three winter months saved about 10-20%. It took three months to figure out how the smart controls worked for us. The setup is now with 12 smart TRVs and two wireless stats. The conservatory still has the dumb TRV. We use geo-fenceing a lot, that saves 20% daily in summer and anything up to 50% when we're out for a typical winter day. Although some on this board say our results are an outlier, the system has the flexibility to adapt the schedule to changing personal circumstances.

Answers

• WATTIE60
    WATTIE60
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Having put back the Honeywell system (because the wife is losing patience), this also failed to fire up for any length of time, after which I discovered the (BDR91A1000 )wireless receiver was not responding. So a reboot and reconnect with the the Wireless thermostat got everything working again. So next step is to put TADO back and bypass the BDR91A1000, and go from there.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Sounds like you’re on the right track but have you not received any instructions from Tado?
  • WATTIE60
    Options
    Old system now up and running, so TADO install part 2, a job for tomorrow.
  • WATTIE60
    Options
    Still waiting from TADO support, 24hours now.
  • WATTIE60
    Options

Given up on TADO support, and have resolved the issue by removing the Honeywell wireless receiver which was interrupting the CH ON, so all working😁

A good TIP for anyone replacing the Honeywell ST6400C with a Wireless Thermostat.

• WATTIE60
    Options

Question: - is it worth replacing all the Radiator thermostats with TADO wireless? I have 2 TADO Smart Rad Thermostats installed already and working on schedule at the moment. So not directly controlling the central heating. Trying to keep the GAS usage low, so happy to have only on in the evenings and weekends.

• WATTIE60
    Options
    That is an excellent imperical report. Sounds smart TRVs all around. Thanks