Boiler keeps turning off when it has not reached temperature

Options

The temperature is about 15C and I have set all the radiators and controller to 25C.

The boiler started to heat and then a couple of minutes later stopped heating. Then later started heating again and then stopped.

The radiators get very slightly warm but never warm enough to actually raise the temperature in the room.

Any ideas why it keeps cycling off?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Are the radiators fitted with trvs? If so try removing them and see what the boiler does then, sounds like a pressure lock out.
  • RichardN
    Options

It's normal for modern heating systems to cycle the boiler. Only old fashioned thermostats lock the boiler on constantly.

The idea is after the radiators are hot, the boiler will shut off for a bit to see how much heat has been transferred into the room from the rads.

What is your flow temp set to ?

If you take the Tado TRV head off, does the radiator heat up better ?

• Holiday
    Options

the flow temp is set to 50C

the radiator in the hallway doesnt have a TRV and that gets to the same temperature as the ones set at 25C, just a little warm.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Increase the flow temp to 60 or 65 and see if the "hotter" water provides a "warmer" radiator.
  • wateroakley
    Options

A faulty or stuck zone valve could restrict water flow to the radiators. This would give symptoms of low temperature at the radiator with the boiler cutting out and cycling (as it's up to temperature).

If you have a hot water storage cylinder, 50 deg C is too low: https://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/legionella.htm

• Holiday
    Options

I dont have a hot water cylinder, just a combi

I tried increasing it to 65C but no difference.

I had Tado installed a couple of days ago and the radiators worked alright until then :/

• wateroakley
    Options

Something is most strange. To help you, please post your setup, before and after ... boiler, controls, photos of wiring etc.

• Holiday
    Options

This is what it looks like now. There used to be a different wireless thermostat where the tado box is (to the left).

Not sure about the wiring. I had a boiler person come to fit it, he says the system works fine when he tested it so the cycling must be a Tado issue.

The heating is set to 65C. The hot water works fine. Pressure is 1.3

• Holiday
    Options

Ive got it working! Thanks everyone for your help!

I should have realised sooner that the wifi light on the wireless reciever was not lit. The instructions arent very clear what lights should and shouldnt be on...

I have moved the wireless bridge to a better location and re-paired them. Light is on now and radiators are getting to a proper temperature.

The hot water button has suddenly appeared on the app and hot water and wireless receiver have appeared under rooms and devices. Now to fix the the offline TRV but thats another issue!