Radiator thermostat won't work

Options

The problem is with the radiator thermostat in our main bedroom. A few weeks ago i started getting messages that the batteries needed changing. I did not get around to it and today we had no heat 1st thing.

So I changed the batteries, being very careful to use the new LR6 AA batteries (not rechargeable) becauase I've had problems in the past using other AA batteries.

Nothing. Or almost nothing. When it had flat batteries its raidiator was on all the time. With new batteries it is off all the time. No display either.

Did the troubleshooting. The app is telling me it the device is not connected to the internet, but why that should be, I have no idea. Turned modem and bridge off and on again. No result.

Anybody got an idea what I should do next/

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Check the battery lid in the trv to make sure it’s making contact with the batteries.
  • Janel
    Options

Thamks, but it wasn't that. Today I tried another pair of new batteries. That didn't work either. The thermostat seems completely dead. I;ve forgotten how to contact technical support and am going all round the houses looking for it.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options
    operator@tado-844a35e31252.intercom-mail.com
  • wateroakley
    Options

Sonds like the TRV has failed. The link to contact support:

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3590239-how-can-i-contact-tado-customer-support

• Janel
    Options

Sorted! It seems I was doing the right things, but not in the right order. The advice on the chat support was to

a) remove the batteries from the thermostat.

b) unplug the bridge from the mains for ten seconds then plug it in again.

c) Replace the batteries in the thermostat.

d) Try to pair the bridge and thermostat.

Worked first time!

• Janel
    Options

Oh dear, I spoke too soon. The thermostat now has a display and appears to be following the schedule, except it isn't. the temp is currently set to 18, but the actual temp in the room is 25 and the radiator is still belting out heat. On the app and the thermostat disply there is a spanner sign, but no indication of which error needs fixing,

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m pretty certain it’s a faulty unit
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Sometimes it can be fiddly to mount the TRV head and fully twist it onto the slim base that clips into the base lugs. When the 'spanner' is showing, this can indicate that the valve trv is not properly mounted onto the base and/or not calibrated. Otherwise it may just be faulty.

• Janel
    Options

Thanks for your help. I'm not getting anywhere. Current situation is that the thermostat appears to be mounted correctly, but it doesn't have any display. On the app I'm being told that the temp in the room is 27, which feels right, and the schedule temp is 19, which is also right, but the radiator is still belting out heat.

So I'm going to get some support.

• wateroakley
    Options

In that case I’d concur with Johnny, a faulty unit.