Wireless Receiver Problem

Options
Hi, I have a problem with my Wireless Receiver that has happened today. When the Wireless Receiver requests heat from the boiler to heat the house the boiler does not start (always use to until today) then when the Wireless Receiver requests heat for the hit water the boiler does start. Had the system for 10 months with no faults. Any ideas on what could be causing my problem?

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Check your heating/hot water zone valve hasn’t got stuck.
  • Maverick87
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Thank you, will this be the 2 way valve in the garage that directa the flow of the water coming from the boiler?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    I would think so but might be worth checking with a professional if you’re not sure.
  • hugbilly
    Options
    (i) When the heating is supposed to be coming on is the “heating” LED on the receiver illuminated? (ii) Is the receiver indicating a communication fault (slow blinking LEDs) ?
  • Yes the heating LED is illuminated but the boiler does not fire
  • The 2 way valve is working as it should, it moves between H, M and W correctly
  • hugbilly
    Options

You could try putting a meter between Heating NO and neutral when the LED is on to see if the switched live is actually being generated.

• Thanks, that's beyond my capability so I'll contact an electrician to get it resolved.

In the mean time I have restarted the wireless receiver twice to hopefully reset an issue that way but it hasn't worked.

Does anyone know if the boxes themselves fault at all and need replacing? Any known problems with them?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    The contacts inside the receiver have been known to get stuck. You could try giving it a tap with a screwdriver handle or something similar.
  • hugbilly
    Options
    Out of interest does the “on” LED still operate even if the relay is stuck?
  • I've got home and tested it again, I can hear the relay switch on both Hot Water and Heating but the boiler only comes on with Hot Water, it's so frustrating!! I have no idea why one relay would switch and it not ignite and one it would. Apart from a loose wire but it's been there bolted to the wall for 10 months working fine before this issue
  • Tado technical support is very difficult to make progress with at any sensible speed, and a telephone number seems to be something they just don't have or hide better and anything I've seen
  • hugbilly
    Options
    As above, I think you, or someone, needs to check that when the CH relay operates there is in fact 240V on the NO terminal . . .
  • Yes I agree, I do understand the principle of that but I can't do it, I am trying to find someone competent to do this, which in itself is hard than I thought it would be!
  • wateroakley
    Options

From your symptoms, I'd be suspicious of a faulty CH motorised valve. The valve can be opened manually by moving the lever to the right, which should fire up the boiler. If the HW behaves and the Tado wireless CH light is 'ON', check that the CH valve on the pipework is not seized or stuck 'OFF'. (I've replaced a lot of these valves and motors, anything from 9 months to 25 years old). When Tado calls for heat, you should hear the valve head motor quietly moving. When the valve is 'open' and calling for heat, try moving the lever to the right, you should not feel resistance.

• Would this valve also be known as Mid Position Actuator? The one that changes it from Water to Mid to Heating?
  • wateroakley
    Options

Yes, Y-plan uses the mid-position actuator. Example image below. When the valve motor moves the mechanism for CH and/or HW, there is a microswitch that should send L to the boiler. Sometimes the electro-mechanicals in the motorised head fail, especially with age. Sometimes the valve itself sticks or seizes.

• hugbilly
    Options

Pretty straightforward to replace the actuator if that's the problem . . .

• Mickee
    Options
    Maverick87 Did you solve the problem? I’ve got the same issue after having the system installed for 2 years almost!! 🙈😩
  • Tg61
    Options
    Maverick87 and Mickee, did you reslove the issues? I had the same isaue as well. Wireless receiver, thermostat and TRVs all connected worked well for 3 month. And all of sudden the CH stopped calles the valves (they still connected—receiver takes singal fron the APP CH light on, TRV even turns just the valves don't move) by the way the hot water works fine and i alrwady got the plumber checked the valves, bioler... Everything works. 😢Anyone can help pls