Can wired thermostats communicate with a wireless receiver?

Options

I have boiler control via Honeywell ST9400C time controller, this is wired in S Plan plus configuration to give two zones for heating. I have two CM707 wired thermostats that control each of the heating zones. I'm looking for best way to replace it with a Tado system. I've just bought a wired starter kit and second wired thermostat to replace my two CM707. I could then use existing time controller for HW and leave heating on permanent giving control to the Tado system, but I'd like to get rid of the time controller. I thought a wireless receiver would do this, can I just add one to the system and integrate that with the wired thermostats. Letting everything being controlled in the app? I have been messaging Tado and have been told this can't be done? Or it's not an option to be configured this way.

Has anyone experience of doing something similar. I was going to get a wireless starter kit and then add two wired thermostats, added benefit as it would give an additional wireless thermostat to use in the lounge as a separate heating zone. Still can't get my head around why I'm told this can't be done either.

Are there any options to go total Tado?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated

Answers

• wateroakley
    Options

@Andy201 We replaced a ST9400 controler and Honeywell wireless room stat (S-Plan with one Honeywell CH zone valve and one Honeywell HW zone valve) with a wireless starter kit. Works well for us,

In principle for S-Plan, with two CH and one HW zone valves ... you could use one Tado wireless starter kit and one Tado wired thermostat, with as many SRVs as you need; up to the limit of 25 devices and 10 zones.

The Tado wireless starter kit as zone controler for 1x CH zone valve and 1x HW zone valve; and one Tado wired thermostat for the second zone valve controller. Depending on how your ST9400 and room thermostats are presently wired, you may need to do a bit of re-wiring to get the correct logic for two CH zones on the ST9400 replaced by Tado wireless receiver and wired stat. When you come to the install, reach out to Tado support.

With the control and flexibility, after 18 months, our annual gas consumption is down to 57%. No promises anyone can reach the same savings.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I don’t see why you’re being told it can’t be done but there might be something I’m not getting. Two wired thermostats to each zone valve and a wireless receiver for the hw seems do-able. Did Tado give a reason why it couldn’t be done?
  • Andy201
    Options

Due to the configuration of my heating system I need the two wired thermostats to control the zones, or a three channel receiver, if I bridge out one thermostat to replace with the wireless that zone will in effect be also live when the wired zone calls for heat. One of the options they suggested was a wireless starter kit, bridge out the two thermostats to have one heating zone and then lots of their smart trvs for better control. With having 21 radiators that didn't sound like a good option to me

• Andy201
    Options

I've seen this picture which shows one wired and one wireless, could it handle another wired thermostat, then it's just what I would like to achieve

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I can’t see any reason why not but unless Tado support misunderstood you, there must be something behind why they’re saying it’s not possible.