Unused room temperature

Options

Good afternoon all,

Maybe this has already been discussed, but a quick forum search didn't yield anything.

What are people using as their temperature for their unused rooms? For example, during the day I work in the office so the living room is not heated. Initially I had it set to 17C, but our house is old so even that requires intermittent heating. I've now set it back to 14C to reduce heating costs. However, I imagine that there is a temperature below which you get negative effects due to the cold. So I was wondering what other people set as their 'minimum' temperature, and if you use different settings during the night and day.

Cheerio,

Frank

Comments

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

I have my unused rooms set to 15C during the day when the other rooms are heating, and off overnight. I think it would depend how quickly you would want to heat the room up (say when a guest arrived), or how drafty your house is (ie how much heat is lost from the other rooms)

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If you go to sites like heatgeek there are long discussions about heat loss between rooms. My understanding is that unused rooms should be kept a few degrees lower than regularly used rooms, but a lot depends on your insulation level, radiator size and so on.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

We keep the doors closed for unused room and enough heat leaks into the rooms when we are home. Unused rooms are set to ‘off’ when ‘home’ and every room is 8 deg C when ‘away’. We heat the east wing during the day. The west wing lounge is ‘off’ until 4pm when we go for 16 deg C, and 18 deg C in the evening.

I’m not convinced by heatgeek. That conclusion is based on the comparison of our previous energy use (timer, room stat and trvs) with the last 18 months and Tado controls for our late 1960s build with retrofitted insulation. If it’s poorly insulated, stone construction or draughty (needing constant heat), that may be different.

It’s all down to finding what works well for you.