3 black wires: How to connect

Options

So I have 3 unmarked black wires coming from my wall and no colour difference. There are no markings whatsoever. Previously, I had a "Toon" connected which, in hindsight uses a wireless bridge to configure the water temperature etc. However, it was still conneccted with 2 of those 3 wires to the wall.

How do I connect my Tado for this? I know that, to heat my water I'll still need to get the wireless bridge. However, in the meantime I'd like to be able to just change my temperature.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You’ll need to trace them back to the boiler or whatever heating device they’re wired into. Don’t think there’s any other way around it.
  • hugbilly
    Options
    Yes, as above, buzz them out with a multimeter. I had a similar situation with a multi core cable in which two of the cores were black (very confusingly) and I had to trace and label them . . .
  • mathiask
    mathiask
    edited October 2023
    Options

There's no way of tracing them since they have no markings. There are also no exposed 3 individual cables at my heater. Any easy way of doing that outside of cutting cables and praying?

Any other way?

• hugbilly
    Options
    Well if you can’t actually see the other ends of the cores at the boiler then you’re a bit stuck but if you could I would switch everything off, run a long cable between the boiler and the ‘stat and then connect it to each of the three black cores in turn and use my multimeter at the other end to identify which is which . . .
  • mathiask
    mathiask
    edited October 2023
    Options

That's a distance of about 20 meters.

I'll just try connecting them randomly and if that don't work i'll just speed up ordering the bridge

Thanks anyway!