Worcester 8000 Life Combi + Tado

Options

Hi Everyone,

Appreciate this has been mentioned a few times on here before but all posts talking about modulation etc and I admit im not knowledgeable to know what's being said - so thought id make a post and keep it simple.

I have a Worcester Bosch 8000 life 35kw Combi boiler.

I also have the Tado kit linked here

this seems to be the new wireless receiver ive seen mentioned a few times on here.

the question is will this work with my system and allow HW and CH to run as and when needed or can it cause issues or something.

if it doesn't control them and individually does anyone have a solution? I did look into the Bosch EC system but the TRVs are now hard to get hold of and cost a fair fortune.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Assuming that’s a uk model you don’t need to worry too much. It should be a simple install. On a combi you don’t get hot water control. You won’t get true modulation either but Tado will do a good approximation of it.
  • thanks for the reply, sorry to sound a idiot but what would be controlling the hot water? and I did think that about the modulation. would getting the below help with this - appreciate I may need to enlist a plumber at this point lol

https://www.jtatkinson.co.uk/worcester-easycontrol-adaptor

• I think reading more that device allows a non Worcester boiler to use their EMS system. ergo I would have hoped a new boiler would be more straight forward lol

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I’m afraid I don’t know anything about that device. As you said, it looks like it converts an EMS protocol to opentherm or switched relay. Regardless of that, if you want to use full modulation (ie have Tado modulate the max flow temp) you’ll need to buy the EU version of the wireless receiver. Check that your boiler is compatible first though.

Combi boilers produce hot water on demand so there’s no tank for Tado to control. If you have Tado connected on a digital connection like Opentherm you can use the Tado app to set the hot water temperature but it’s hardly essential.
  • thanks for the help - I think my boiler is compatible. admit so confused with the eu/uk version of the receiver. like what's difference - all I can see is the eu is mains powered.

ah so got ya - basically set the temp to hot water is now and ignore it as its doing its own thing - makes sense tbs :) thanks im learning lol.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The eu version of the wireless receiver has digital connections that allow Tado to use full modulation if the boiler supports it. The uk version doesn’t because Tado claimed British installers didn’t use it (then backtracked on this and started selling the eu version here as well).
  • ok got you, so annoying as the uk set is way cheaper at the moment. haha love those decisions they make that makes sense - in a nonsense way!

just searching eBay for a cheap EU receiver maybe just ignore the UK one or eBay that

• you dont happen to know the model duo you? ebays less than useful

• Seems as mine uses ems2 best I can get is relay mode. I’m not sure who’s more annoying Tado not supporting it yet (seems ems is a minefield with them) or Bosch being so use our devices or nothing at all. Which I would use theirs if they made them still lol