Wired stat only?

Options

Hi all I was called out to a customer with a DRU02-TA-06 on the wall, an internet bridge, and according to him no receiver.

It's wired using Open Therm to an HRE36/30 Intergas combi boiler.

On the app, he can turn up and down the trvs in the rooms, but can't get the stat to fire the boiler.

Is it possible that the stat only fires the boiler, and the app controls the trvs?

As there are no zone valves to my knowledge, I'm wondering what isn't working. I arrived late in the evening so couldn't go looking for a receiver, the unvented is in the loft.

I'm thinking that he does have a receiver and doesn't know it as he's not long moved in.

I'm familiar with OT and intergas boilers but with Honeywell lyric T6R but don't know much about Tado but are liking them now if only I can get this one to work.

TIA

Best Answers

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

With the wired 'stat I don't think you'll find a receiver. Communication is between the bridge, the TRVs, and the wired stat.

The installation instructions are here:

https://cdn.brandfolder.io/607DGEMS/as/7k4rssnm8hbmr6mjf94qmck/104210-DIGITAL-ST01IB01-INSTALLER_MANUAL-TA-EN-00-V3.pdf

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just to clarify, there’s only one smart thermostat model which can be used wired or wirelessly. If it’s been wired in it’s likely to be wired either straight to the boiler or to a zone valve if the house has heating zones. No need for a separate receiver.

If there are no physical connectors in it then it’s not a smart thermostat, it’s a wireless temperature sensor. If there are physical connectors but it’s not wired in it’s a smart thermostat. In both these cases there will be a receiver somewhere, either a wireless receiver or another smart thermostat wired to the boiler.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m assuming that’s a product code for a smart thermostat? Is it wired directly to the boiler? If so there’s no reason for there to be a wireless receiver. I would check the wiring, and get the Tado pro app to make sure the system is set up correctly. It also has links to installer’s manuals.
  • Thanks Johnnyp78, I checked continuity to the cables that end up on OT at the boiler and they do make continuity, but if course they may do that via a receiver, I don't know how the receiver is wired internally, at least we know they do make continuity.
    So if it were a wired stat, how does the system work (does the stat fire the boiler and the app control the trvs?)
    Thanks
  • hugbilly
    Options
    Is the thermostat set up as the zone controller for the TRVs ?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    No, the app connects via the cloud. The app connects to Tado’s servers, which tell the bridge connected to the router to send an instruction to the specific Tado device - for example to tell the smart thermostat to switch on the boiler. Similarly when you use the smart thermostat control panel it sends the instruction to the cloud as well as transmitting it locally. All the instructions come from the cloud unless there’s no internet connection, in which case you can control the heating and hot water via the smart thermostat, but not set a schedule.

If the smart thermostat has wiring inside it from the digital connections, it’s likely to be going straight to the boiler. You’ll get a lot more information on the connections if you use the Tado pro app to scan the Internet bridge qr code.
  • semmyroundel
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Thanks again, all useful info.
    However, I still haven't worked out of its a wired stat. Is there a different part number for the wired stat from a wireless one?
    Also is there a way apart from the installer pro app to check if the stat is working at all, IE bridging some contacts?
    There are wires on the digital (last two connectors on the right) and these are the ones making continuity with the OT on the boiler)
  • hugbilly
    Options
    Does the DRU part number come from the app? If so I think that indicates a wired ‘stat as both my wireless ‘stats are shown as SU . . .
  • Thanks hugbilly, I took the number directly from the stat back plate (top right corner) there was also a number: VT1848 at the bottom of the backplate
  • I'm assuming it's it is a wired connection, then the app doesn't communicate with it?
    If it did, then it would be a wireless stat, surely?
  • I can't work out the protocol here.
    Assuming it's a wired stat, and the app CAN communicate with it in order to turn the boiler on, then there has to be an interface somewhere, as in a receiver?
  • hugbilly
    Options

The interface is the Internet Bridge which plugs into the householder's router. NB, I've just looked at the back of one of my wireless 'stats and the number corresponding to the one you have is DSU02-TA-02 so I think that again suggests DRU is likely to be a wired 'stat.

The Internet Bridge looks like this:

• Thanks hugbilly, yes I've seen that in his house. What I don't know if it exists, is some sort of receiver as the Honeywell units have, maybe with Tado it doesn't exist.
    As in my OP, I'm unfamiliar with Tado, but I like how it works and will definitely give it a try in future as long as it's rock solid on OT