Should tado° open up their system for cloudless control?

Options
jclsn
jclsn
edited October 2023 in General Questions & Topics

About a year ago I had contact with the tado° support and I complained about the lack of control I have over the TRVs. The TRVs are quite sophisticated and even seem to support how much the valve opens. This is completely controlled by algorithms in the cloud though. Without Home Assistant, that shows me tha valve opening in percent, I would not even be aware of this feature.

The problem:

To control the TRVs with Home Assistant, you need to completely disable the schedule and Home Assistant turns the TRVs on or off based on its schedule or the geotrack information of the user. It also sets the desired temperatures and can automatically recalibrate the thermostats based on external thermometer data. All pretty neat! The problem is: Although the thermostat is in heating mode, the valve may not be open, since this is completely controlled by the algorithm in the cloud. The only thing you can do, is turn the TRV off completely.

I was trying to explain this to the support. The worker was really trying to help me and asked the developers to completely turn off the algorithm in the cloud, so the valve would open 100%, when the TRV is in heating mode and turn off, when Home Assistant turns it off. This is not what I wanted though. My heating pipes are quite big and loud, so I wanted to make use of the valve only being opened like 20% maybe and I would like to have control over this. The support worker said there is no way to control this atm and that I should make a poll here to see what the community has to say about this, so that is what I am doing now.

I know that having a full manual mode is not for everyone, because not all people are technical enough to be able to make use of it, but I think that many people would appreciate a possibility to have full control. This could come as a setting with a detailed warning to only do make this change if you know what you are doing. I also would want a cloudless mode, where I can speak to the bridge directly via a REST API or something similar.

What do you say?

Should tado° open up their system for cloudless control? 4 votes

Yes, I would love to have full control over my devices
100%
johnnyp78SPTjclsnnigelpd 4 votes
No, I would like tado° to control my TRVs
0%

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes they should but people have been asking for this for years and they’ve done nothing about it, just as they haven’t implemented multiple homes on one account or a range extender, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.
  • jclsn
    Options

@johnnyp78 Well, that would definitely be a reason to not buy more TRVs from them. I will not support a company that does not give me control over the devices I own or listens to its community