Installing tado wireless e.u to a Ideal Vogue

Options
Hello I’m looking for some advise with any one who has any experience connecting up to a gen 1 ideal vogue using opentherm. Iv managed to open the boiler and now I’m stuck 😂. The boiler is currently using a wireless ideal thermostat thermostat labelled prt4. If anyone can help me I’m willing to pay them or donate to charity of there choice.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Luckily for you I’ve done exactly that install. What are you stuck on? You can post photos on the desktop version of the forum.

Just to make it clear, to use Opentherm you need either an EU wireless receiver, a discontinued extension kit or a smart thermostat. The uk wireless receiver doesn’t have digital connections.
  • I have the e.u version. I’ll post some photos now
  • i believe that i need to connect the two highlighted red plugs together and leave the highlight green loop. and just wire the todo receiver to the opentherm

• one problem im having is removing the actual plug as its stuck. I obviously dont want to force it and damage it taking it out. the only thing i can think of is cutting the red black and blue. the connecting the blue and black back up. leaving the red disconnected.

• thanks for your help

• johnnyp78
    Options
    From what I remember the Opentherm harness needs to be connected to the main circuit board. I think you’re right but let me check. Don’t cut anything! Can you get that connector out with needle nose pliers?
  • I’m not sure what’s stopping it coming out. It’s not the outer clips that you push in with your thumb and finger. I think it’s a little plastic cube on the underside
  • Just tried with pliers and it’s not budging. I’m going to have to cut them and use jelly crimps. In theory it should work exactly the same as the connectors
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    If you’re confident doing it I don’t see why it would make any difference. I’ll see if I can get a pic of my wiring too but I can’t see how it would be connected anywhere else.
  • Ok thanks I’m awaiting a uk plug adapter coming tomorrow. Hopefully you will have managed to find a pic of your wiring. If it dosnt work I can always reconnect the wires back to the inbuild wireless receiver
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Do you need a uk plug adapter? You could just take power from the boiler spur. Either or though. Will have to send a pic tomorrow but I can’t see where else harness would connect.
  • Ok so my plug has come and it’s now all plugged in. I have chopped the wires and connected them up the same as it would be useing the male and female plastic connect. Iv hot hot wate but it’s not sending hate when I ask for it
  • Actually it’s just come on. Is there normally a delay as the tado talks to its servers
  • johnnyp78
    Options

Pic as promised. Looks like you’re on the right track. There should be minimal delay with the heating coming on after you request it - usually less than a minute. Can you set the hot water temp? If you use the Tado pro app you can set the heating max flow temp too - some people prefer to leave it high and let Tado turn it down but I set mine at 50-55c, otherwise it tends to ramp up to about 75c.

• great so iv wired up the opentherm cable just like yours. i cut the wire and crimped them to later realise how to undo the correct connecter. never mind it not a issue. I can see you have the room stat timer loop removed. mines working but it seems to have a mind of its own. its not responding the way im asking the app to respond. ill try remove it tonight. whats your cable on the left? is it attached to anything? thanks david

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The room stat timer loop is removed because the boiler has a timer installed, set to always on. Cable on the left is for the old switched relay Honeywell receiver - left the power lines wired in to boiler spur and wired it to the Tado extension kit.

Not sure what could be going wrong with yours. Have you tried using the Tado pro app? It should give you a lot more information about the install.
  • SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    When I removed my cover plate on my Ideal boiler (different to yours) there was a connector which I connected to the OpenTherm one. I also had errors because i didn't add a bridge cable to the room stat section.