Reccomendation for a small 2 room setup

Options

Hello.

So first of all, i have a central boiler system at my place, which controls all the radiators in the house. I have 2 rooms and one kitchen (only one floor) in my apartment. I want to control (only) the 2 rooms separately, with TRVs. I do not want any cables in the rooms, so the reciever/wired thermostat should be in the kitchen.

My question is, besides the 2 TRVs, what else should i buy? Do i need a Wired Smart Thermostat too in the kitchen (with Bridge included) or a Wireless Reciever unit is enough to communicate with the TRVs separately.

Just to be clear, I've seen 2 options so far, to manage this:

1. 2 TRVs, a Wired Smart Thermostat (with Bridge included);
  2. 1 TRV (with Bridge included), 1 TRV (on its own), a Wireles Reciever.

I've red all the FAQs, but did not find the answer for this specific situation. Is this even doable? Or do i need 2 recievers / wired thermostats for each TRV? Can a reciever be in a different room than the TRVs?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Cheers.

Comments

• davidlyall
    Options

Hi

What controls do you have installed at present and do you need hot water control or is the boiler a combi?

Option 1 would be correct if you have an existing wired thermostat somewhere in the apartment as that will be doing the switching of the boiler so would need to be replaced by a tado item

If you don't have a wired thermostat then you could go with option 2 but be aware that if you need to be able to control heating of a hot water tank, you must have a smart thermostat too

HTH

• Cirkula
    Options

Hey.

My current setup is one regular wired thermostat in the kitchen. I would like to replace this with eather a Wired Smart Thermostat or just a Wireless Reciever. I just want to control the heat system with it, the water is set to a fixed temperature on the boiler.

Keeping that in mind and the answer you gave me, the second scenario is doable as well (if I undertsand you correctly), because the Wireless Reciever will replace my old thermostat, which could communicate separately with the TRVs. Is that correct?

• davidlyall
    Options
    OK, so no time controller then? Just a wired thermostat

In that case, you still need something to control the boiler so you should replace it with a wired smart thermostat I.e. option 1
  • Cirkula
    Options
    Yes, just a wired thermostat.
    Is it possible to install the Wireless Reciever instead of the Wired Smart Thermostat, considering that the 2 TRVs can send request to it as well? The Wireless Reciever will act as the main controller for the boiler, depending on the signal gained from the TRVs.
  • wateroakley
    Options

The alternative is the 'wireless starter kit': dongle, wireless receiver (to control the boiler) and wireless room stat and two TRVs. For either the wired or wireless: if you have a rad in the kitchen, you may need a TRV on that as well. There are multiple scenarios. E.g. ...

1. With a room stat in the kitchent and TWO TRVs in the other rooms, all set to the zone controller. The other room rads will heat according to their time/temperature. The kitchen rad will heat up when any of the rooms 'call for heat'. This may be OK? it may also overheat the kitchen?
    2. With the room stat in the kitchen set to the zone controller and TWO TRVs in the other rooms set as 'independent'. The flat will only heat up when the kitchen room stat 'calls for heat'. The two room TRVs will act as smart 'time/temperature' TRVs.
    3. With a room stat in the kitchen and THREE TRVs in all rooms, all with zone control. The kitchen TRV will act as the slave to the kitchen room stat. Every room can call for heat to their own schedule and temperature. Or the kitchen can 'call for heat', with two 'independent' room TRVs to act as smart time/temperature TRVs. This assumes that the heating system does not need the kitchen rad as 'bypass'.

Depends on how you want the system to work for you.