Geofencing per room per person

Options
2»

Comments

• I have another more pressing example for the same feature. I've asked this multiple times over many years but it's still not a feature. I have three children who live with my ex wife most of the time. They each have their own bedroom at my house that needs heating when they are here (weekends mostly) but not all of them come all the time. What I want is for it to not heat their bedrooms when they are not in. This would also work in shared appartements where each tenant has their own heating zone. (Not zone as in it needs a separate boiler switch). Please please please fix this!
  • alen
    Options
    Trying to understand what is so complicated here. Request is on spot and should be clear ... Enable home/away mode per room in relation to person. Same way as is now only for Home.
  • markwares
    Options

This would be a great addition and exactly what I was going to suggest. Having two teenage daughters who live at home there's no pattern for when they are home and when they are away. It would be great to assign their phone to their rooms or zones and have home/away mode auto-enabled just for them. +1 from me.

• Anybody wanting to do this, download IFTTT, and once set, it will override TADO

• V_K
    Options
    @GaryW32 Multi-User geofencing has been requested 8 years ago and tado confirmed it will be coming, I bought my tado because of that confirmation. Should’ve known better, don’t wait for it!
  • @SilveRxMafiA I checked and it seems that IFTTT only switches the whole heating on and off, it can’t address individual room radiator trv’s… so it works much like the Tado app, I guess the only difference is that it geofence switches on and off automatically without a subscription
  • SPT
    Options
    The only way to make this work is if the TRVs send a beacon to the mobile phone and ascertain location or proximity. But even then accuracy will be an issue.

Then battery life will be depleted too. It's a feature that is nice to have.

I want my car to fly too, not gonna happen yet.
  • alen
    Options
    Looking 8n history of this request... looks like will be challenging to get ... Anyway, until then, I switch off geofencing in Tado and transfer home/away function to Home assistant automation and is working great ...
  • @SPT this thread isn’t suggesting what you are outlining…
    no new hardware needed, it’s purely a software thing, multiple users geofenced that’s it… each user can choose which room(s) their geofencing applies to..
  • SPT
    Options
    @foggyheating : Geofencing accuracy will be an issue. It knows you're in the home because GPS is fairly accurate. But knowing who is in specific rooms will be a huge challenge. As I mentioned, it would need to be constantly polling for near by phone. The TRVs will end up being drained.
  • SPT
    Options
    @foggyheating you are also assuming that tado knows which user switched on the heating and stores that data.
  • alen
    Options
    Request here is not related to person being in HOUSE and then switch room. Request is about specific person LEAVE HOUSE and specific room will go to away mode
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@SPT What a load of codswallop!! You really cannot get this at all so please accept that the rest of us understand it it simply that if User A leaves the house Room X switches off. It doesn't matter whether they were in it or not; washing up or darning socks in the attic!

• SPT
    Options
    @samd what if Tado doesn't store the data for who set the room last?
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@SPT I have an office. I am User 1. I register Room 6 as my office. That data is held until varied and unlikely to change. When User 1 phone leaves the home boundary Room 6 heating turns off.

• roycruse
    roycruse
    edited November 2023
    Options

hahahahaha just read this thread from start to finish and I think @SPT is a sandwich short of a picnic. I cant believe how many times you all tried to spell it out to him/her...

@SPT ill speak slow...

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR THE TADO GEOFENCING TO KNOW WHAT ROOM ANYONE IS IN.... EVER.... JUST GET THAT OUT OF YOUR HEAD COMPLETELY AND ACTUALLY READ WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING...

THE ONLY THING NEEDED IS JUST THE EXISTING STANDARD GEOFENCING FUNCTIONALITY OF "HOME" AND "AWAY" BUT WITH THE ABILITY OF ASSIGNING JANETS OFFICE TO JANETS HOME/AWAY STATUS AND JOHNS OFFICE TO JOHNS HOME/AWAY STATUS. (names made up to protect the innocent) THE GEOFENCING ALREADY KNOWS THE HOME/AWAY STATUS OF EACH PHONE SETUP IN THE ACCOUNT TO SHARE ITS LOCATION. SO JUST A SMALL SOFTWARE/CONFIG CHANGE TO ASSIGN A ROOM TO AN INDIVIDUALS HOME/AWAY STATUS RATHER THAN THE HOUSE HOME/AWAY STATUS AS A WHOLE.

This is not niche at all and i have this exact requirement here in my house - i have achieved it using HomeAssistant and the tado integration - i simply disable (put in frost protection mode) my wifes office when my wife is out and the rest of the house is heated if either or both of us are home driven by the home and away status.

It would be good to have the feature in Tado directly so you didnt have to use 3rd party software. but in all honesty once you go down the rabbit hole of setting up HomeAssistant to unify all your smart home stuff your never going back anyway :) you just start automating everything.

HomeAssistant will solve all the other use cases mentioned in this thread also.