Pre purchase questions - I have no thermostat at the moment at all so what do I need?

Options
I currently have a traditional timer that controls the boiler, and normal trvs on all the rads. Questions…

1. If I just bought the bridge and tado trvs for the rads, would I then need to leave my heating on all the time for tado to do its thing?

2. Alternatively if I just got a tado thermostat for the boiler, would this work on its own without any smart trvs? I would then add some to some of the rads around the house later.

3. Sub question: some of my current trvs have valves that get stuck. I go round and unstick them in autumn by knocking them gently and pulling the pins up with grips, which normally sorts them out. Presumably the tado trvs don’t replace this bit, just the bit on the top?

Thanks! 🙂

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    1. You set the timer to always on (or remove it altogether). Tado will control the boiler.

2. That’s right. Just to make it clear that you will always need the Tado bridge connected to the router as well as your other Tado devices. No reason not to start off with a wireless receiver/smart thermostat though.

3. Yup, just the head, not the base.
  • gregsmith
    Options
    Thanks @johnnyp78

On number 1. How does tado control the boiler if I only have the bridge? Is the bridge connected to the boiler?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Ah I’m with you. No you’ll need a Tado device connected to the boiler as well. You could just leave the boiler running 24/7 and use Tado trvs on the radiators but you’d use a lot of gas and risk a pressure lock out if all the trvs were closed.
  • gregsmith
    Options
    Thanks for your help @johnnyp78