Is the subscription worth it?

Options
SPT
SPT ✭✭
edited October 2023 in General Questions & Topics
I have my wireless EU thermostat setup with my ideal boiler using OpenTherm and all the house apart from the bathroom, WC and hallway has a smart trv... is the subscription worth the money?

I work from the office on Wednesday and my wife works Monday to Wed from the office. I have a 3 year old.

Are the smart schedules actually learning?

Are the usage reports worth the money?

Best Answer

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The ‘smart schedules’ don’t learn as such on a standard heating subscription (though i think they might do on a heat pump subscription). Geolocation works pretty well if everyone is out of the house a lot. If there’s always someone there it’s probably not worth it (or you can carry on doing it manually for free).

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    No...................
  • SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Would you be able to explain why?
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

It does nothing for me.......none of the usage data etc were ever accurate......there are only 2 family members in my household and I cannot justify paying for a "service" that doesn't help me to achieve any savings.......imho

• SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Why have you invested in a system you do not like???
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

Because I believed the hype from tado before i purchased the devices........I have subsequently changed my opinion.

• SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    That's a little sad. You mentioned to me:

"None of the usage savings were ever accurate for my household and therefore a total waste of time."

So don't sign up to the subscription?

For me, I am able to call for heat in particular rooms, using Opentherm and the open window detection works well because it notices temperature drop and key part is humidity levels...

It's a good system and Amazon are backing them.

Never had an issue with customer service at all.

So why are you so unhappy?
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@SPT It's a good system if it works for you which it appears to and that's fine and dandy. The abject failure of the company to develop what is still, in essence, only a basic smart system is very clear to see were you to spend a while looking at the many hundreds of requests going back many years, some so simple to implement; others a tad more complex. I am surprised you mention relative humidity within a sentence suggesting positive design, given that the significant level of inaccuracy therein is well documented here and experienced by most if not all members.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    @SPT
    My experience..... My opinion......based on 3 yrs usage...... I tried the subscription service on at least 2 occasions.....and cancelled it as appropriate.
    Other users may indeed by happy with the subscription service.....however I wasn't .....my choice and my personal opinion..... Conversation over.
  • SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Let me be clear - while there are varying opinions about Tado, it's essential to remember that this system has its strengths.
    Personally, I've found it to be highly effective in managing heating in specific rooms, and features like open window detection and humidity sensing have proven to be valuable. Technology choices are subjective, and it's worth considering the benefits it offers.(which sounds like you didn't properly).
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@SPT (which sounds like you didn't properly). You are way off beam there and more than a tad rude with it methinks.

• SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Did intend to be rude but more stating my opinion on what I saw.
  • SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Didn't*.............