Do existing dumb TRVs need to be in working order to replace them with Tado smart valves?

Options

I've recently bought a house and am planning to replace the dumb TRVs with Tado but I'm aware that some of the existing TRVs don't work (this manifests in that the affected radiators heat even when the TRV is set all the way to off).

My question is: do these dumb TRVs need to be fixed or replaced before the Tado valves will work, or can the TRVs simply be replaced with the Tados? I'd prefer not to call out a central heating engineer unless genuinely necessary so help appreciated.

Best Answer

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If the fault is with the dumb trv head not pushing the pin on the trv base far enough then you’re fine to replace with Tado; if the pins in the base are jammed, broken or corroded then you’ll need to fix them first.

Answers

• jwhat
    Options

Thanks for this - really helpful. Is there an obvious way for a layperson to see which of those scenarios is the cause of the issues with the dumb TRVs or is it likely to need a central heating engineer to determine it, do you know?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    There is. Take the trv head off (they usually have a collar that unscrews). You should see a pin. Use something heavy (like the side of a large spanner) to push it down gently. It should spring back up again. If it moves freely it’s probably the trv head that’s the problem. If you can’t use any force to move the pin then it’s probably corroded or broken and you need to repair/replace it.
  • wateroakley
    Options

as johnny says … unscrew and remove the dumb trv head. Jammed valves on older trvs is very common. Push the pin down using e.g. the side of a spanner. It should move down and spring back up when you remove the push. If the pin is ‘up’ and doesn’t move down, the valve is jammed. You’ll probably be able to push a bit harder to free it. Sometimes a quick spray of WD40 can help.

Conversely if the pin is jammed ‘down’. The rad won’t heat up. You might be able to pull the pin up with pliers, or WD40 and pliers.

If all else fails, 6 new valves are less than £100 from that well known river seller. An easy job for a reputable plumber or heating engineer.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Be very careful about pulling up the pin with pliers though if it’s stuck down. If you use too much force you can pull the whole thing out. Sometimes tapping on the side of the base with something weighty can free it.