Gloworm Ultracom 35CXi with ClimaPro RF controller

Options

have been looking at changing my controller to Tado but have just read this article (Connecting wireless receiver to Glow-worm Energy 30c — tado° Community) which seems to suggest that doing so will prevent the boiler for modulating which I believe would impact its efficiency.

Is this correct?

Is there another Tado solution that will work for me?

Thanks

Gegg

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Seeing as I replied on that thread you linked to… all modern gas boilers use internal modulation, which doesn’t change no matter what they’re connected to.

However, if you want to connect your boiler to a system like Tado, with true load modulation, it needs to have digital connections, either Opentherm or some other protocol. Tado’s uk wireless receiver does not have them. Its eu wireless receiver does, as does the smart thermostat and discontinued extension kit.

If you cannot or don’t want to use digital connections, tado can simulate modulation on a switched relay connection by cycling the boiler on and off.
  • Gegg
    Options

HI Johnny,

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

I guess what I am really asking here is this......

Will replacing my existing ClimaPro RF controller with a Tado controller have a negative impact on the efficiency of my boiler?

Gegg

• johnnyp78
    Options
    No, unless your existing controller is a smart controller, replacing it with Tado (and sticking to the same temperatures) in any form should increase efficiency, but no guarantees!
  • Gegg
    Options

Sorry chap, while I am grateful for your help, you appear to be answering a question with a question.

I'm not asking for guarantees but I am asking for an answer, and "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer :-)

I have already clarified that my existing controller is a ClimaPro RF controller (image attached)

It is a hand held unit, fully programmable through it's own screen but not through an App or any HTTP interface, making it, as far as I am aware, not a "Smart" controller.

In these times of increasing financial pressure I don't want to make my boiler less efficient, even if it gives me some other small benefits such as remote control through an App.

All I am trying to find out is will adding the Tado controller negatively impact on the normal operating efficiency of the boiler, in other words will it cost me more to run it as a result of fitting this.?

Thanks

Gegg

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    There are too many variables. If you install Tado correctly and run it at the same target temperature, it will almost certainly be more efficient because you’re not currently using a smart thermostat. It saved me about 30% on my bills for example. If you do a forum search there are plenty of threads talking about maximising efficiency with Tado.

Tado’s home/away geolocation feature is worth paying the subscription for - it will probably give you the biggest energy saving if you’re away from home a lot.

If the system is incorrectly installed, you can’t get a signal from the Tado bridge or there’s something esoteric in your current set up that you are unaware of, it may not be more efficient. If all goes well I’m 90% sure it will be more efficient. That’s the best I can offer you!
  • Gegg
    Options

Thanks again LOL....