Buderus EMS Bus and powering the Wireless Extension

Options

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install Tado for a Buderus GB062 boiler and am not sure about something.

Buderus, as far as I know is using an EMS Bus for modulating control so it must be connected to the D+/- pins in the extension. Also, as far as I understand, EMS also provides 12V of power.

Upon making the connection, and confirming that on the extension's connectors I have 12V (more like 14V) the extension fails to power on. Does that mean that I need to separately power the extension with the provided 220V cable?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you!

Andrei

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If you’re not getting any response from the extension kit either it is dead or it’s not receiving power from ems. I don’t think it would do any harm to try an external power source.
  • andreig1978
    Options

It is most definitely not dead as after powering it from the mains it starts-up fine.

Maybe after I'll configure the extension to use EMS it will start using the bus as a power source.

I wish tado did a better job specifying in which cases the external powering of the extension is necessary.

• hawkman
    hawkman
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hi! I’m also finding myself in this situation: the EU wireless receiver requires external power, whereas I was expecting it to be powered from the EMS bus. Explicit advice on this is hard to find, but people’s experiences with the old UK extension kit — and the related advice that this is the modern equivalent — suggested that I should expect bus power.

Did you resolve this at all?
  • hawkman
    Options
    Just to follow up for anyone seeing this later, that I didn’t get bus power working. However, by using the 4-core cable I was able to get both power and digital connections from the boiler, and end up with the single-cable solution to the boiler that I wanted.