tado owes me £3 (or why doesn't Tado not turn off the heating when it says it has)

Options
jasonm
jasonm
edited October 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Hi there

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the behaviour of the Tado system so when devices lose connection they don't stay in the heating state?

My heating comes on briefly in the morning, and this morning my thermostat decided to lose connection with the Tado system during this period so the heating stayed on for 6 hours rather than 1 hour, and then to add insult to injury after replacing the battery and the thermostat reconnecting the heating remained on until we powered down the wireless receiver and restarted it.

With gas costs as they are I don't want a system that I cannot trust - according to the Tado App everything was fine (including the thermostat with the new batteries) and there was no calls for heat, yet the wireless receiver had the heat light on. I left it in this state for 30 minutes to see if it would self correct (I was hoping it would) but it didn't. Turned the power off, back on, and everything is fine again!

We have a few radiators without Tado TRV's as they are too far away so that part of the house is now 26 degrees!

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m afraid this is a known issue with Tado that they don’t seem to have any interest in solving.
  • Have you considered extending the reach of your Wi-Fi signal by installing a Wi-Fi over power line adaptor such as the one made by TP Link?

• TiSwAs73
    Options

im having the same issue - i like my house tepid and its very annoying coming back to a house thats like a sauna

• jasonm
    Options

Hi

Sorry for the slow response, I didn't get any notifications so didn't notice the responses! Having discussed the issue with Tado the issue is the range of their devices. I am looking at moving over to Drayton Wiser as I can only reliably use Tado across about half of my house. The problem is three fold as I see it:

i) the connectivity range of the Tado devices is nowhere near what they say (my wireless receiver is losing connection less than 3 metres away from the internet bridge, albeit through a timber wall),

ii) the Tado devices stay in the last known state when this happens

iii) Tado don't seem interested in solving it. I have lost count of how many times a support person has said send me a photo of the internet bridge, is it pointing up? Is it in the middle of the room?

It's a shame as I like the system but cannot run the house on it, and keep having instances where the heating is on for hours and hours without being scheduled which costs a lot of money. In my case the system doesn't recover on it's own, so if it happens in the morning and I don't notice the heating is on high all day long - my October gas consumption is 20% higher this year due to this happening multiple times this month.