Will my UK extension kit support ebus?

Options

Hi all

I've got an old tado thermostat (2018) + extension kit (2020) and a vaillant ecofit pure 835 combi boiler and the boiler's getting moved so needs rewiring. The current wiring piggy-backed off the old wiring that was originally there for the previous system boiler with the extension kit taking the place of the old programmer.

As part of the boiler move I'm wondering if I can make it a bit smarter than what I think is currently just "dumb call for heat".

What I'd like to do is;

• have the thermostat act wirelessly so I can easily put it somewhere else - this seems to already be working despite the wires in the back of the thermostat - if I take it off the wall and turn up the heating, the extension kit clicks & the heating comes on so I guess those old wires aren't doing anything today
  • use ebus so I can benefit from modulation & therefore improved efficiency

From what I've read on the forums (and in particular this really helpful thread https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/2883/installing-the-extension-kit-on-a-vaillant-ecotech-plus-831) it sounds like it might work but it's not that clear because I have a UK extension kit which may or may not support ebus

I've taken a photo of the back of my extension kit - can anyone tell from this photo if it supports ebus? It's running firmware 81.1.

Best Answer

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    You don’t have a uk extension kit, you just have an extension kit. See the + and - on the far right? That’s your digital connection. Tado confused things when it replaced the extension kit with two models, the uk wireless receiver (relay only) and the eu version (relay and digital). Whether Tado supports your particular boiler is another conversation but you definitely have digital connections.

Answers

• reallyme
    Options
    Thank you so much, your explanation makes way more sense than tado's own product listings!