Force boiler to fire on a schedule

Options

Hi,

My existing system was a simple gas boiler connected to a segmented timer. When the timer was on - the boiler fired, and it would heat (1) the hot water, (2) the underfloor heating and (3) any rads that the mechanical TRVs were open. There was no thermostat.

I've added Tado TRVs to most of the rads, and added a thermostat in the main room. I've replaced the mechanical timer with the wireless receiver.

All is good, except - with the weather still quite warm, the rads are not calling for heat, so the boiler isn't firing all day. Thus, we have no hot water.

Is there any way to put the boiler itself on a timer to force it on for - say an hour a night - even if all the TRVs are not calling for heat?

Thanks!

BTW - at the moment, I'm not too concerned about the UFH - there are rads in all the rooms with UFH.

Answers

• wateroakley
    Options

@harperp I think you could link the CH and HW connections on the Tado wireless receiver and use the Tado app for HW to call for heat. In principle, live to Com to com, and NO to NO to boiler, should give you what you want. Obviously you’ll have to make sure this is correct for your boiler wiring. You should keep a bypass on the plumbing, e.g. a rad that is not controlled by a trv.

• harperp
    Options
    Ah, interesting, thanks! And I guess that will trigger something in the app to make the HW icon appear? (It's not there at the moment)
    I have a few heated towel rails that are always on. Hopefully that would suffice as a bypass?
  • wateroakley
    Options

@harperp Is your system defined as a combi boiler in the wireless receiver settings or not ? If set as a combi, there is no HW. Changing the receiver setting to non-combi may work. You may need to contact Tado support to enable the HW settings in the receiver and app? If your towel rails are the existing bypass, that should suffice.

• harperp
    Options

By the way, just a quick update. I did as @wateroakley suggested and linked the heating and hot water as described. I also contacted tado over their chat app to get the hot water icon enabled in my app.

This all works perfectly now. Thanks!