How to make use of the (paid for) 'Balance' service without also paying for a Heat Pump Connector?

Options

Hi.

I have a fairly new build (2020) with an air source heat pump. It has a set of John Guest wired thermostats (Yuk). A lot of manual tuning every time I want to change the setup. And with an Octopus agile schedule, there is a lot of tuning to make the most of it. Time to look for something better...

I purchased a Tado wired starter kit, sold on the idea of a Tado Balance subscription where the app is smart enough to work out when in the day is the best time to top up on heat. Having installed the thermostat and base unit, I discover that it looks like the only way to get a Balance subscription activated, is to also purchase a "Heat Pump Connector" for an additional £200++. The heat pump connector talks to a number of different heat pumps. Daikin is not on the list, unfortunately...

To my thinking, all that is needed, is a Tado thermostat reading the temperature, and a schedule that is no longer tied to time-of-day versus temperature, but figures out the smartest time to top up the house, based on tariffs, weather forecasts, and geography. This is what I thought the Balance product was all about.

Am I overlooking something? Can a subscription be activated with a thermostat, without the Heat Pump Connector?

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Unfortunately Tado products are notoriously expensive. I don’t know much about the heat pump connector but there’s no balance option with the subscription for a standard boiler, so I suspect if you want it you’ll have to shell out.
  • lerlands
    Options

That is me snookered. My ASHP is not on the approved list. The best use for the purchase of any heat pump connector would be as a door stopper. I have better use for £200++... :-(

Thanks for the info :-) .