New to Tado - Will this work?

Options

I moved into our house in May and would like to get Tado up & running before winter. The house has a Ideal Logic+ C30 combi boiler driving 9 radiators and water based underfloor heating in the kitchen. There are two Salus wireless thermostats, one for the main household heating and the other for the underfloor in the kitchen.

I'd like to install STRVs on all the radiators (most have TRVs on already and the others should be okay to change to TRVs), using the app to control the temperature across the house and then use a wireless thermostat mounted in the kitchen to control the underfloor heating.

Looking at the Tado site, I believe this is possible but would love some feedback from others who have this working.

Also, I believe that the combi boiler has OpenTherm capability. Is it worth opting for the EU version of the wireless receiver? Would it affect the setup mentioned above?

TIA.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Do you have heating zone valves to separate heating for the rads and UFH? If you do you won’t be able to install Opentherm, you’ll need a switched relay device for each valve.

If you don’t, in theory you should be able to, but it really depends on how the UFH is wired in. Tado devices can only operate one heating circuit and I suspect you may have a wireless receiver with two, given that you have two wireless thermostats.
  • XondaOne
    Options

Hi @johnnyp78

Thanks for your response. To be honest, I don't know. This is my first ever property and I'm an IT guy so learning as I go with regards to the heating system.

Both the UFH and rads can call for heat independently at the moment (I think). I set the UFH stat to a lower temperature this morning so it would initialise and I could see the flame symbol on the display when the Grundfos pump kicked in by the UFH manifold. There is a black cable leaving the kitchen, going up the building and then disappearing into the loft area. It looks to me like it all comes together in the white box on the floor in the photo but it's difficult when I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at.