An’Offset’ idea … will it work?

Options

Just fitted 5 Tado Smart Rad controls. In a couple of the rooms the TRV (SRV??) is inevitable very close to or even behind a curtain when its pulled back. Whilst I suggested that maybe we should get shorter curtains, she-who-must-be-obeyed wasn’t terribly amused 😳

But hang on. Is this where setting an Offset would come in? So if the temp at the rad is say 24deg but the room temp is actually (as measured by a thermometer) 21deg could I set a -3deg offset in the app. But …. and here’s the stupid question I can’t quite get my head around …… do I then set the schedule to be 21deg or leave it at 25deg.

Any suggestions or shared experience welcome.

Comments

• hugbilly
    Options

Best thing, I think, would be to put wireless temperature sensors in those rooms. They will be unaffected by the curtains and also measure room temperature more accurately than the TRVs . . .

• sampsons01
    edited October 2023
    Options

@hugbilly So ...... are you saying that adding an Offset will not work the way that I've suggested?

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

....and I would add to wateroakley's comments in that a room stat which he recommends is more accurate and can be placed in the optimum position to heat the whole room. Job done.

• hugbilly
    Options
    Regardless of any offset, the TRVs won’t function very well behind curtains as they won’t measure the room temperature at all accurately . . .
  • sampsons01
    edited October 2023
    Options

@hugbilly which in fairness they point out first but then go on to describe a solution of putting in an offset ….. which we’ve now found out works on one level but is impractical on another. But it grates a little to think that we have to shell out another hundred quid to correct something that should have been thought through in software beforehand. And don’t mention replacing curtains ….. tried that, lost serious brownie points. 🥴

• wateroakley
    Options

Not sure what happened to the original post ....

You set the room to your desired temperature and heat the room/rad. Use a free standing room thermostat to measure the actual room temperature. Adjust the offset to make the correct + or - setting. This will take successive adjustments, probably over several days, to get to your actual desired room temperature, as set and measured

With the TRV on the large rad behind the sofa in the lounge, we experimented for a few weeks to adjust a 2-3 deg C room temperature offset setting. The offset worked at the set 'heated' temperature, but also offset the 'not heated' measurement by the same amount. Heated temperature, tick. Unheated, you would always find the room 2-3 deg C colder than expected or reported. Not very satisfactory for SWMBO.

After biting the bullet to add a wireless thermostat in the lounge ... bingo! All the faff was fixed. SWMBO happy.